OVERVIEW – SAINT LEO
SCORES: Saint Leo Lions 8, Northwood Timberwolves 6
RECORDS: Northwood 8-4, Saint Leo 8-6
LOCATION: Saint Leo, Fla. (Southard Stadium)
RECAP: In a game with big swings both ways, Northwood drops an 8-6 contest at Saint Leo Monday afternoon (March 7).
- Saint Leo got off to a fast start in the game, plating a pair of runs in the bottom of the opening inning.
- The Timberwolves responded right away in the top of the second inning with two runs of their own. Ryan McClelland got the inning going with a solo home run, his third of the season, to make the score 2-1. Later in the inning, Brooks Ullery had a two-out single that scored Javier Martinez to tie the game at 2-2.
- Saint Leo came right back in the bottom of the inning, scoring three runs to go back on top 5-2.
- NU came right back with a run of their own in the top of the third. After a pair of singles, McCelland had an RBI fielder's choice to plate Connor Foley and make the score 5-3.
- Northwood then took the lead in the fourth inning by scoring three runs. After a Martinez single to lead off the inning, freshman Kyle Ziegler hit an inside-the-park home run to centerfield to level the game 5-5. Then after a Foley walk, freshman David Vinsky had an RBI double to give the Timberwolves a 6-5 lead.
- The Lions got the momentum back in the fifth and sixth innings, scoring two in the fifth and one in the sixth to go back on top 8-6.
- The Timberwolves' best chance to tie the game came in the eighth after getting the first two batters on to start the inning. After a sacrifice, the Timberwolves runners at second and third with one out. But Saint Leo reliever Zach Whitaker, who entered the day with a 0.82 ERA, got a strikeout and groundout to end the threat.
- Northwood then got one runner on in the ninth against Whitaker but that was all, giving the Lions the win.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Saint Leo: 8/15/1, Northwood: 6/13/3
- Runners Left on Base: Saint Leo: 5, Northwood: 9
- Winning Pitcher: Blake Bodin (1-0): 3 2/3 IP, 3 H 1 R, 3 K
- Losing Pitcher: Logan Meadors (1-2): 4 1/3 IP, 12 H, 7 R (6 ER),1 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Ziegler: 1-2, HR (1), 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 BB
- Foley: 2-4, 2 R, 1 BB
- Ullery: 2-4, 1 RBI
- Martinez: 2-5, 2 R
- Nick Palmer: 2-5
- Ziegler's inside-the-park home run was the first homer of his career.
- The loss snaps Northwood's four-game winning streak. The Timberwolves now stand at 5-2 on their 13-game trip in Florida.
- The Timberwolves will take on regional opponent Lewis Tuesday morning (March 7). First pitch is set for 9:30 a.m.