OVERVIEW – Lewis University
SCORE: Northwood 14, Lewis 2
RECORDS: Northwood 8-3, Lewis 0-8
LOCATION: Lake Myrtle Sports Complex
RECAP: Northwood strikes early and often, uses big lead and strong pitching performance from Jandron to cruise to 14-4 win over Lewis in eight innings.
- Northwood threatened in the bottom of the first after Connor Foley lead off the game with a single, and David Vinsky also singled in the inning, but the Timberwolves were unable to push any across and stranded a pair.
- The bottom of the second, however, was a different story. In an odd inning that saw Northwood register only two hits, but score three runs. Kyle Ziegler lead off with a sharply hit single, followed by a Lewis error on a Richie O'Neil bunt, and a bunt hit for Travis Janes, Northwood had the bases loaded for Brian Dombrowski who was then hit by a pitch, scoring Ziegler. Foley then stepped to the plate, and delivered a sacrifice fly, scoring O'Neil. Robert Spencer, the next batter followed along with a sacrifice fly of his own, scoring Dombrowski for the third run of the frame.
- After Lewis scratched across a run in the top of the third to make it 3-1, Northwood again upped the Flyers with two runs of their own in the home half by taking advantage of back to back walks to start the rally. A few batters later, Richie O'Neil singled in David Vinsky and Javier Martinez to put Northwood in control, 5-1.
- In a game that saw Northwood's leadoff batter reach in seven out of eight innings, the bottom of the fourth began with a Connor Foley double and a Robert Spencer single. Vinsky hit a sacrifice fly scoring Foley, and an RBI single by Martinez scored Spencer. The inning continued with a Kyle Ziegler RBI double to cap the scoring and put Northwood up 8-1.
- The Flyers would come as close as 9-4, but a five run eighth inning for Northwood capped off by a two RBI single by Connor Foley put Northwood up 14-4 and cemented the win in mercy fashion for the Timberwolves.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 14/15/3 Lewis 4/9/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 7 Lewis: 7
- Winning Pitcher: Tyler Jandron (3-0) 7 IP, 7H, 4R, 1ER, 1BB, 8K
- Losing Pitcher: Robert Talarico (L, 0-2) 2.1 IP, 5H, 5R, 3ER, 2BB, 2K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- The game featured several odd plays – Northwood was called for back to back batter interference calls that made for two of the three outs in the bottom of the third.
- Travis Janes lead off the bottom of the fifth with one of the oddest plays you'll see – He struck out on a ball that got away from the catcher, reached first easily, but the catcher, pitcher, and both first and third baseman for Lewis could not find the ball along the backstop, and Janes advanced all the way to third.
- Tyler Jandron goes seven innings to pick up his third win on the season for Northwood, he's 3-0 in his NU career.
- The Timberwolves be off for the next two days, and play against Chestnut Hill on Friday (March 10). First pitch is set for 11:30 a.m. from Fort Pierce, Florida.