OVERVIEW – Seton Hill University
SCORE: Northwood 0, Seton Hill 5
RECORDS: Northwood 11-5, Seton Hill 4-3
LOCATION: Henley Field, Lakeland, Fla.
RECAP: Seton Hill's Joe Shaffer tosses no-hitter as Griffins defeat Northwood 5-0 in game 1 of a doubleheader.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Seton Hill opened the scoring in the bottom of the first using a combination of aggressive base running and sluggish defense by the Timberwolves. With two outs in the inning, Craig Lewis was on first for the Griffins, he took off for second, stole the bag and advanced to third on the errant throw. Lewis then turned for home and made it all the way around to score the game's first run, putting Seton Hill up 1-0.
- Seton Hill added to their lead in the home half of the second scoring again with two outs on an RBI single by Adam Ferita. Northwood was able to limit the damage though as Matt Pearsal pitched out of a bases loaded jam.
- Seton Hill slowly but surely added to their lead and continued to seize control of the game as the Griffins added a run in the third, the fourth, and the fifth to open up a 5-0 lead.
- In the top of the seventh, Northwood trailed 5-0 as Joe Shaffer continued his memorable day on the mound retiring the side without surrendering a hit, and earning the no-hitter and win over the Timberwolves.
GAME 1 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 0/0/2 Seton Hill 5/8/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 3 Seton Hill: 4
- Winning Pitcher: Joe Shaffer (1-0) 7 IP, 0H, 0R, 0ER, 1BB, 12K
- Losing Pitcher: Matt Pearsal (L, 1-1) 5 IP, 8H, 5R, 3ER, 1BB, 2K
GAME 1 NOTES
- Seton Hill's Joe Shaffer threw a no-hitter for the Griffins. It is the first no-hitter in program history for Seton Hill.
SCORE: Northwood 7, Seton Hill 6
RECORDS: 12-5 Seton Hill 4-4
LOCATION: Henley Field, Lakeland, Fla.
RECAP: Northwood earns dramatic, come-from behind walk-off win after scoring three runs in the bottom of the seventh to defeat Seaton Hill and earn a split in the doubleheader.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Seton Hill opened the scoring as they manufactured a run in the top of the second with a two out single, stolen base, and a double to centerfield to put the Griffins up 1-0.
- In the bottom of the fourth, the Timberwolves bats awoke for the first time of the day as Daniel Pulver lead off the inning with a double. A single by Javier Martinez and a walk by Kyle Ziegler loaded the bases for Matt McClennen who singled home two runs to put the Timberwolves up 2-1.
- Northwood wasn't done in the fourth as Brian Dombrowski hit a sacrifice fly to score Ziegler, and Connor Foley singled home McClennen bringing the total damage to four runs in the frame for the Timberwolves who lead 4-1 after four.
- Seton Hill wasted no time in responding as the Griffins stormed back with five runs in the inning, all of which came with two outs in the inning. Seton Hill had the bases loaded when they received a pair of singles followed by a double to plate a total of five runs and regain the lead, 6-4.
- The score remained 6-4 in favor of the Griffins heading to the bottom of the seventh. Brooks Ullery lead off the frame with a walk, followed by a single by Connor Foley that moved Ullery to third, and a sacrifice fly by David Vinsky, Northwood was within one, 6-5.
- Ryan McClelland was the next batter and he hit a long single to right field that advanced Foley all the way to third base with the score still 6-5. Daniel Pulver then walked to load the bases.
- Javier Martinez stepped to the plate and was hit by a pitch, sending home the tying run and making the score 6-6.
- The next batter for the Timberwolves was Kyle Ziegler and with the bases still loaded and one out, Ziegler singled up the middle to bring home the game-winning run, capping the dramatic comeback with three runs in the bottom of the seventh and sealing the walk-off win for Northwood.
GAME 2 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 7/11/0 Seton Hill 6/9/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 4 Seton Hill: 3
- Winning Pitcher: Matt Stojkov 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2K, 0 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Kenny Wells (L,0-1) 0.1IP, 3H, 3R, 3ER, 2BB, 0K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
GAME 2 NOTES
- This is the second walk-off win for Northwood on the Florida trip. In each win, Northwood trailed by two runs heading to the last inning and scored three runs for the win.
COACH JORDAN BISCHEL
"Our outstanding chemistry and resiliency was outstanding today. After an incredible pitching performance by Seton Hill in game one and a couple of well-placed hits to give Seton Hill the lead in game two, we stayed the course and competed all the way until the end. We are excited to try to finish the trip on a high note tomorrow."
- The Timberwolves will conclude their 13 game Florida trip with a game against Ashland tomorrow (March 12). First pitch is set for 1 p.m. Despite both teams being from the GLIAC, the game is not a conference game.