OVERVIEW – Tiffin University
SCORE: Northwood 0, Tiffin 4
RECORDS: Northwood 15-6 (2-1 GLIAC), Tiffin 11-10 (5-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Heminger Field, Tiffin University
RECAP: Tiffin silences Northwood's bats en route to 4-0 win.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- After two scoreless innings to begin the game, Tiffin broke through in the bottom of the third when Isaac Perry doubled down the left field line scoring Kyle Lento and giving the Dragons the 1-0 lead.
- In the top of the fourth, Northwood threatened with runners on second and third after Brian Dombrowski walked and Richie O'Neil single but Tiffin was able to escape the jam and hold onto the one run lead.
- Tiffin came right back in the home half of the fourth with three runs, two of them unearned, to bolster the lead up to 4-0.
- For the remainder of the game, Tiffin shutdown the Timberwolves and earned their first win of the weekend series, 4-0.
GAME 1 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 0/9/1 Tiffin 4/5/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 9 Tiffin: 4
- Winning Pitcher: Michael Boswell (2-1) 6 IP, 9H, 0R, 0ER, 1BB, 6K
- Losing Pitcher: Matt Pearsal (1-2) 3 IP, 3H, 1R, 1ER, 2BB, 1K
GAME 1 NOTES
- The shutout marked the second time this season Northwood was held scoreless in a game.
- This is the first loss in conference play for the Timberwolves.
SCORE: Northwood 5, Tiffin 3
RECORDS: 16-6 (3-1 GLIAC) Tiffin 11-11 (5-3 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Heminger Field, Tiffin University .
RECAP: Northwood explodes for five runs in the seventh inning to earn comeback win and take three of four from Tiffin in the first weekend of conference play.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Game two began in a similar fashion as the first game, as both teams were held scoreless through the first three innings.
- In the bottom of the fourth, Tiffin broke the scoreless tie with two runs in the frame, both coming on a two run single by Fernando Nieto.
- After no score for either team in both the fifth and sixth, Northwood trailed 2-0 heading to the top of the seventh when the Timberwolves bats came alive to the tune of a five run inning.
- Daniel Pulver led off the inning with a single, followed by a Javier Martinez walk. The next batter, Grant Bridgewater singled home Pulver, and Martinez advanced to second. Two batters later, Robert Spencer laid down a bunt and reached safely while Martinez came into score on the play.
- After tying the game at two, Northwood wasn't done in the top of the seventh. After pinch hitter Brooks Ullery reached on a fielder's choice, Connor Foley stepped to the plate and smashed a two run double scoring Bridgewater and Miles Hardy. The exclamation point to close out the inning came in the form of an RBI single by David Vinsky scoring Foley and the Timberwolves plated five runs to go ahead 5-2.
- With a three run lead for the Timberwolves, Tiffin scratched across a run in the eighth to pull within two runs, but Northwood's Matt Stojkov slammed the door shut with a 1-2-3 ninth inning to preserve the 5-3 win for the Timberwolves.
GAME 2 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 5/9/1 Tiffin 3/8/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 6 Tiffin: 7
- Winning Pitcher: Larry Wood (1-0) 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0K, 0 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Hunter Carson (2-3) 1IP, 5H, 5R, 5ER, 1BB, 1K
- Save: Matt Stojkov (1)
TOP NU PERFORMERS
GAME 2 NOTES
- This is the fifth comeback win for Northwood in the 2017 season and the second in as many days.
- Connor Foley finishes the four game series against Tiffin an impressive 8-14 with three home runs, and six RBI.
COACH JORDAN BISCHEL
"Both games today were well played by both teams in tough hitting conditions. Both games came down to the team that got a couple of big hits in key situations. Winning a conference series on the road is never easy. We will be excited to get back to work in practice this week."
- The Timberwolves continue conference play with another road series at Hillsdale on Saturday (April 1). First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 pm.