OVERVIEW – Hillsdale College
SCORE: Northwood 8, Hillsdale 1
RECORDS: Northwood 18-7 (5-2 GLIAC), Hillsdale 11-15 (4-7 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Simpson Field, Hillsdale College
RECAP: Northwood controls from start to finish with powerful hitting and another outstanding pitching performance from Tyler Jandron.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood opened the scoring in the top of first inning when Ryan McClelland went yard for a two run bomb that also scored David Vinsky who had singled earlier in the inning. The Timberwolves lead 2-0 until the bottom of the third when Hillsdale scratched across a run to cut the lead in half at 2-1 after three.
- Northwood came back with a pair in the top of the fourth as Robert Spencer led off with a double and later came around to score on a Hillsdale throwing error. Later in the frame, after a Conner Foley single, NU had runners at the corners when Vinsky brought home Miles Hardy on a Fielder's choice, putting the Timberwolves up 4-1.
- The score remained 4-1 in favor of Northwood until the top of the seventh when the Timberwolves added four more insurance runs to gain an 8-1 advantage. Nick Palmer had a sacrifice fly in the inning and Connor Foley brought home Robert Spencer on an RBI single, but the major damage was inflicted in the form of a two run homer by David Vinsky over the left field fence, pushing the lead to seven at 8-1.
- Northwood's Tyler Jandron went the distance and pitched all seven innings for Northwood to earn his sixth win in as many starts, holding the Chargers to just the one run and one hit.
GAME 1 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 8/14/1 Hillsdale 1/1/3
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 11 Hillsdale: 4
- Winning Pitcher: Tyler Jandron (6-0) 7 IP, 1H, 1R, 0ER, 3BB, 9K
- Losing Pitcher: Jeff Burch (2-3) 4.2 IP, 10H, 4R, 2ER, 2BB, 5K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
GAME 1 NOTES
- This is the seventh time this season the Timberwolves have hit multiple homeruns in a game
- Tyler Jandron is now 6-0 in six career starts for Northwood, today's complete game for Jandron marked the first of his Northwood career.
- The nine strikeouts for Jandron tie a Northwood career high. Jandron has struck out nine three times already this season. (Ashland, Tiffin, Hillsdale.)
SCORE: Northwood 7, Hillsdale 6
RECORDS: 19-7 (6-2 GLIAC) Hillsdale 11-16 (4-8 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Simpson Field, Hillsdale College.
RECAP: Northwood's early lead is enough to hold off Hillsdale's comeback efforts en route to 7-6 win and doubleheader sweep of the Chargers.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Logan Meadors started comfortably on the mind for Northwood tossing three shutout innings to begin the game.
- Northwood struck for two in the top of the third for the game's first runs compliments of a Daniel Pulver RBI double and a Kyle Ziegler sacrifice fly.
- The Timberwolves followed the two run third with a three run frame in the fourth by way of the long ball to build a 5-0 advantage. Robert Spencer blasted a solo shot, while David Vinsky smashed a two run jack to left-center field.
- Hillsdale came back with a solo homer of their own in the home half, followed by a three spot in the bottom of the fifth after NU scored one run in the top of the fifth on a Kyle Ziegler big fly, the second of his collegiate career. Heading to the top of the sixth, Northwood held the 6-4 advantage.
- In the top of the sixth, David Vinsky proved once again Simpson Park could not hold him as the freshman connected for his second home run of the game and third of the series, this one a solo shot to extend the lead to 7-4.
- One in the bottom of the sixth for Hillsdale and another in the bottom of the seventh saw the Northwood lead shrink to one at 7-6. The game remained a one run tilt through the eighth and into the bottom of the ninth.
- With the game on the line in the bottom of the ninth, Northwood's Lennon Gwizdala remained on the mound for the Timberwolves and pitched around a leadoff walk to shut the door and earn the save, preserving the 7-6 win for Northwood.
GAME 2 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 7/11/1 Hillsdale 6/7/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 9 Hillsdale: 6
- Winning Pitcher: Logan Meadors (2-2) 5 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4K, 1 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Andrew Verbrugge (1-5) 4IP, 10H, 6R, 6ER, 1BB, 1K
- Lennon Gwizdala Save (3)
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- David Vinsky (4-5, 2HR, 3RBI)
GAME 2 NOTES
- Northwood is now 5-1 in one run games this season.
- The 6-2 conference start is the best start in Coach Bischel's three years at the helm and the best eight game start in conference play in over fifteen years.
- The four home runs in the game tie a season high. Northwood had four home runs at Tiffin earlier this season on March 24.
- In the two games today, David Vinsky was an impressive 6-10 with three home runs.
COACH JORDAN BISCHEL
"Game four of the series was an incredibly well-played game by both teams. It is tough to win close games on the road; I'm proud of the way we competed after a tough start to the series."
- The Timberwolves will return home to play their home opener with a weekend series against Lake Erie, beginning with a doubleheader on Saturday (April 8). First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 pm.