OVERVIEW – Ohio Dominican University
SCORE: Northwood 2, Ohio Dominican 10
RECORDS: Northwood 33-10 (20-5 GLIAC), Ohio Dominican 23-16 (14-10 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Gerace Stadium, Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Ohio Dominican uses strong pitching and three long balls to hand Northwood first home loss of the season.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Ohio Dominican opened the scoring in the top of the first inning after the first three batters reached, concluding with a two run double by Justin Childress to make it 2-0. \
- The Panthers used the long ball to extend their lead with a run in the second and two more in the top of the third to hold a 5-0 advantage after three innings of play.
- Ohio Dominican starter Brad Wilson held NU scoreless through five innings, and after a pair of Panther home runs in the top of the sixth, a two-run and three-run shot, the Ohio Dominican lead grew to 10-0.
- The Timberwolves came back in the bottom of the sixth with two runs to make it 10-2. Back to back singles by Daniel Pulver and Javier Martinez put two runners aboard, and after pinch-hitter Nick Palmer walked, the bases were loaded for Brian Dombowski who hit a two run single to center.
- Ohio Dominican held Northwood to just the two runs and cruised to the 10-2 win giving Northwood its first loss at home on the season.
GAME 1 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 2/11/3 Ohio Dominican 10/13/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 10 Ohio Dominican: 8
- Winning Pitcher: Brad Wilson (6-2) 6 IP, 9H, 2R, 2ER, 2BB, 6K
- Losing Pitcher: Tyler Jandron (9-1) 2.2 IP, 6H, 5R, 3ER, 3BB, 2K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
GAME 1 NOTES
- The loss marks the first defeat at home for the Timberwolves this season. They were 8-0 entering the game.
- The ten runs are the most the Timberwolves have surrendered at home this season.
SCORE: Northwood 3, Ohio Dominican 3
RECORDS: 34-10 (21-5 GLIAC) Ohio Dominican 23-17 (14-11 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Gerace Stadiuim, Northwood University
RECAP: Northwood falls behind early, but uses five run fifth inning to gain the lead and cruise to the 9-4 win over Ohio Dominican.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Ohio Dominican struck first in the top of the third with two doubles and a Josh Childers two-run homer to grab a 3-0 lead.
- Northwood came right back in the bottom half of the third to score two runs. Brooks Ullery led off with a single and Richie O'Neil walked with one out putting two aboard for Connor Foley. Foley singled to centerfield scoring Ullery. The next batter, David Vinsky returned the favor with an RBI single scoring O'Neil and the Timberwolves cut the lead down to 3-2.
- After neither team scored in the fourth, the Timberwolves broke through in a big way in the bottom of the fifth by exploding for five runs to take a 7-3 lead. Travis Janes began the scoring by blasting a solo home run. After back to back singles by O'Neil and Foley put two aboard, David Vinsky cleared the bases with a two-run double to the right centerfield gap.
- The Timberwolves weren't done yet, with Vinsky on second, Daniel Pulver sent a towering fly ball into orbit over the right field fence for a two run homer, capping the five run inning for Northwood.
- In the bottom of the seventh, it was again Daniel Pulver doing the damage as he doubled home David Vinsky and later scored on a Robert Spencer sacrifice fly, and the Timberwolves added two more runs, stretching the lead to six at 9-3.
- Ohio Dominican scratched one across in the top of the eighth to make it 9-4, but the Timberwolves held on easily for the 9-4 win to earn the split for the day.
GAME 2 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 9/12/0 Ohio Dominican 4/10/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 7 Ohio Dominican: 9
- Winning Pitcher: Kyle Vedrode (4-0) 6 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2K, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Garrett Sendelbach (4-2) 4.1IP, 7H, 5R, 5ER, 1BB, 3K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Connor Foley (3-5, 1RBI, 1R)
- Daniel Pulver (2-5, HR, 3RBI, 2R)
- David Vinsky (2-4, 3RBI)
- Travis Janes (1-4, HR, RBI)
GAME 2 NOTES
- Northwood is now 9-1 at home this season after the win.
- The Timberwolves are 12-2 versus teams hailing from the state of Ohio this year.
- The home run for Travis Janes is the first of his collegiate career.
- Kyle Vedrode is now 4-0 on the season, doubling his win total from last year.
COACH JORDAN BISCHEL
"Ohio Dominican is a very athletic team and was extremely well prepared today. I was impressed with our resiliency after falling behind in game two. We will need to be energetic tomorrow to have success."
- The Timberwolves conclude the four game series against Ohio Dominican with a doubleheader tomorrow (April 29). First pitch is slated for 1:00 pm.