OVERVIEW – OHIO VALLEY
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 14, Ohio Valley Fighting Scots 1
RECORDS: Northwood 6-5, Ohio Valley 9-6
LOCATION: Osceola County Stadium – Kissimmee, Florida
RECAP: Northwood's offense gets rolling early and cruises to a 14-1 win over Ohio Valley Friday afternoon (March 9).
- Northwood got off to a strong start in the opening inning. After Tyler Jandron picked off a pair of Scots runners in the first inning, the Timberwolves wasted no time in the bottom of the frame. NU plated four runs in the inning on four hits, highlighted by doubles from Ryan McClelland and Nick Palmer. David Vinsky, Colin McClelland and Palmer each had RBIs in the inning. Palmer also stole third and scored on a throwing error to give NU a 4-0 advantage after one inning.
- The Timberwolves broke the game open in the third inning, plating five more runs. Palmer got the big hit of the frame, a two-run triple. NU also got a run on a Michael Karam RBI single and two more on an error to make the score 9-0.
- Javier Martinez continued his hot hitting with an RBI double in the fourth that got the Timberwolves into double figures at 10-0.
- The score remained that way until the seventh when the Timberwolves got four more. Three hitters had RBI singles in the inning: Ryan McClelland, Vinsky and Colin McClelland. NU's final run of the day came on a wild pitch that scored Vinsky.
- Ohio Valley got their lone run of the day in the top of the ninth inning.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 14/19/1, Ohio Valley: 0/6/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 8, Ohio Valley: 7
- Bases on Balls: Northwood 1, Ohio Valley 3
- Winning Pitcher: Tyler Jandron (2-1) 6 IP, 0 R 6 H (all singles), 9 K, 0 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Dion Felger (2-2) 4 IP, 10 R (7 ER), 11 H, 3 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Martinez: 4-4, 2 2B, 2 R, RBI
- Palmer: 2-4, 2B, 3B, 3 RBI
- Vinsky: 3-4, 2 RBI, R
- Ryan McClelland: 3-5, 2B, 3 R, RBI
- Karam: 2-4, 2 R, RBI
- Jandron's win was his 14th in his second year with the program – that ties him for ninth on the career victories list at Northwood. His ERA for the year has now dropped to 0.92. Jandron has 30 strikeouts in 19 2/3 innings of work this season.
- Northwood was originally scheduled to play two games today, but their opener against Cedarville was cancelled due to limited roster availability for CU.
QUOTING COACH JORDAN BISCHEL
- "It was a different day for us – you just don't expect to have a game cancelled 12 hours before you play. But we did a nice job adjusting and being ready to play – getting two pick-offs and coming out swinging the bats in the first inning defined the game."
- "Tyler Jandron did a great job managing pitch count and attacking hitters. Throwing less than 80 pitches in six innings is outstanding."
- (on Javier Martinez – after a slow start to the year) "He got off to a slow start last year, too. But at the end of the Tennessee trip, he found something. And he's swinging the bat really well down here. He's got comfort in the five hole and is doing a really nice job there."
- Northwood will play Minnesota-Crookston Saturday afternoon (March 10). First pitch is set for 3:30 p.m.