OVERVIEW – MANSFIELD
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 6, Mansfield Golden Mountaineers 4
RECORDS: Northwood 7-6, Mansfield 3-3
LOCATION: Osceola County Stadium – Kissimmee, Florida
RECAP: Northwood rallies back from a 4-0 sixth inning deficit to post a 6-4 win over Mansfield Sunday night (March 11).
- Mansfield was the better team in the first half of the game, scoring single runs in each of the first two innings and two more in the fifth to lead 4-0 heading to the sixth inning.
- Northwood began their comeback in the top of the sixth inning when Nick Palmer was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to get the Timberwolves on the board.
- NU then made it 4-2 later in the inning when Ethan Zaglaniczny grounded into a fielder's choice that scored Colin McClelland.
- The Timberwolves got the lead down to one in the seventh on a sacrifice fly by Javier Martinez, sending the game to the eighth with NU trailing 4-3.
- Northwood put together the key rally of the game in the top of the eighth. After loaded the bases, Ryan McClelland drew a walk to tie the score 4-4.
- The next batter was NU's leading hitter, David Vinsky, who came through with a two-run single to complete the comeback.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 6/8/0, Mansfield: 4/8/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 11, Mansfield: 9
- Winning Pitcher: Max Bain (2-0) 3 2/3 IP, 2 H, 9 K, 1 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Tyler Guidos (1-1) 1 1/3 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 2 K
- Save: Lennon Gwizdala (2) 1 1/3 IP, 2 K, 1 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Vinsky: 3-5, 2 RBIs
- Martinez: 2-4, RBI
- Palmer: 2-5, 2B
- After allowing a single to the first batter he faced, Bain struck out six straight Mansfield batters. He ended up strike out on nine of the 11 outs he recorded.
QUOTING HEAD COACH JORDAN BISCHEL
- "We didn't play particularly well tonight and they did a good job of taking advantage of our mistakes early. But we hung in there and we stayed together as a team."
- On Max Bain: "We don't have exact roles with our guys out of the bullpen – you think of Max as a set up guy. He hadn't pitched in a few days, so we left him out there. He did a great job getting it to Lennon (Gwizdala)."
- "If we can get to the end of the game late with David Vinsky up with the bases loaded, we're going to take our chances. Today he came through for us."
- Northwood returns to action Tuesday (March 13) against Slippery Rock. Game time is set for 11 a.m.