OVERVIEW – MANSFIELD
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 25, Mansfield Golden Mountaineers 9
RECORDS: Northwood 9-6, Mansfield 3-6
LOCATION: Osceola Heritage Park – Field #2 – Kissimmee, Florida
RECAP: Colin McClelland's cycle highlights Northwood's 25-9 over Mansfield Wednesday (March 13).
- Northwood got on the board three batters into the game on a two-run homer by sophomore David Vinsky.
- The Mountaineers put together a rally in the second inning, scoring six runs to go up by four runs.
- The Timberwolves fought back in the fourth inning with a four-run frame. The big hit of the inning was a three-run double by Travis Janes, which was followed by a Vinsky RBI single to tie the game 6-6.
- Mansfield scored three in the fourth inning to go back on top 9-6, but that proved to be the last time the Mountaineers scored.
- Northwood responded right away in the fifth inning with five runs. Vinsky's two-run single was the big hit of the inning, while Brian Dombrowski, Ryan McClelland and Javier Martinez each had an RBI in the inning.
- NU got four more runs in the sixth – Nick Palmer scored on a wild pitch, while Dombrowski, McClelland and Vinsky each had RBI hits in the inning to make the score 14-9.
- The Timberwolves got single runs in the seventh and the eighth on solo home runs by Colin McClelland and Brian Dombrowski to put the advantage at 16-9.
- Already with a big lead, Northwood plated eight more runs in the ninth inning to close out the win.
- Colin McClelland entered the ninth inning 2-5 with a home run and a triple. He led the inning off with a double. Then after the Timberwolves batted around, he got an infield single to complete the cycle.
- After Northwood allowed nine runs in the first four innings of the game, four different pitchers (Colin Moran, Nathan Lagenfeld, Thomas Johnston, Zac Sharp) combined to keep Mansfield off the board in the final five innings.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 25/19/3, Mansfield: 9/8/3
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 10, Mansfield: 4
- Winning Pitcher: Colin Moran (1-1) 1.2 IP, BB, 3 K
- Losing Pitcher: J.P. Bonaca (0-1) 1 1/3 IP, 3 H, 5 R
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Colin McClelland: 4-7, cycle, 2 R, 2 RBI
- Vinsky: 4-6, HR (2), 6 RBIs
- Dombrowski: 2-4, HR, 3 RBIs, 3 R
- Ryan McClelland: 2-4, 2B, 2 RBIs, 2 R
- Janes: 2B, 3 RBIs, 3 R
- Ziegler: 3-5, 3 R
- Colin McClelland's cycle is believed to be the first in the history of Northwood baseball.
- Vinsky's batting average is up to .516 this season. He has had at least two hits in each of his last seven games. During Northwood's trip to Florida, Vinsky is batting .654 in six games (17-26) with 13 RBIs.
QUOTING HEAD COACH JORDAN BISCHEL
- "It was a really good day to hit here, especially with teams being short with their pitching staffs. But we did a nice job taking advantage of it."
- "I thought the biggest hit of the game was Travis Janes' three-run double. He's struggled a bit in the last couple of games and came up in a really big spot and put a good swing on the ball."
- On Colin McClelland hitting for the cycle: "Colin had a little bit of a rough start to the game but he battled today and that's the sign of a good hitter. He then made some really good swings and squared up some balls."
- Northwood will play a pair of games Thursday (March 15), taking on Pace at 11 a.m. before facing defending D-II National Champion West Chester at 2 p.m.