OVERVIEW – ECKERD
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 18, Eckerd Tritons 8
RECORDS: Northwood 13-6, Eckerd 10-14
LOCATION: Osceola County Stadium – Kissimmee, Florida
RECAP: Northwood extends its winning streak to seven games with an 18-8 win over Eckerd to close out the Timberwolves' spring trip to Florida Monday (March 19).
- The leadoff batter of the game hit a solo home run for Eckerd, putting the Tritons up 1-0.
- Northwood wasted no time responding, putting together a five-run first inning. NU got rolling thanks to three consecutive RBI doubles by Ryan McClelland, David Vinsky and Javier Martinez to make the score 3-1.
- Later in the inning, Michael Karam was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, which was followed by a Kyle Ziegler sacrifice fly to put NU on top 5-1.
- In the third, Northwood extended its lead with four more runs. Karam got things started with a bases-loaded walk to make it 6-1.
- Ziegler added an RBI double while Brian Dombrowski had a two-run single to send the game to the fourth with NU leading 9-1.
- Eckerd got back into the game with a five-run fifth inning to cut the advantage to 9-6.
- NU got the lead back to four on a solo home run by Ziegler in the bottom of the fifth.
- After the Tritons cut the advantage to 10-7 in the sixth, Northwood put the contest away in the seventh and eighth. Northwood put six up in the seventh, highlighted by a three-run homer by Nick Palmer, making the score 16-7.
- Northwood got two more runs in the eighth before the Tritons plated one in the ninth to make the final score 18-8.
NU/ECKERD GAME STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 18/12/2, Eckerd: 8/13/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 7, Eckerd: 7
- Winning Pitcher: Ian Dimitrie (5-0) 3 IP, 5 H, R
- Losing Pitcher: Drew Martin (1-4) 2 1/3 IP, 6 H, 9 R, 5 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Ziegler: 2-3, HR (1), 2B, 3 RBI, 2 R, BB
- Palmer: 2-3, HR (3), 3 RBI, 2 R, 2 BB
- Vinsky: 2-5, 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI
- McClellend: 2-5, 2B, 2 R, RBI
- Northwood finishes its spring break trip to Florida with a 9-1 record.
- After starting the year 1-5, Northwood has gone 12-1 in their last 13 games. In that stretch, the Timberwolves out-scored their opponents 141-52. That averages out to an average score of 10.8-4. NU's ERA in the last 13 games is 3.39, compared to 9.49 for their opponents.
- Northwood will open Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference play with a series at Ashland March 23-25.