OVERVIEW – ASHLAND
SCORES: Ashland Eagles 10, Northwood Timberwolves 6
RECORDS: Northwood 13-7, 0-1 GLIAC/Ashland 9-5, 1-0 GLIAC
LOCATION: Donges Field – Ashland, Ohio
RECAP: Northwood opened Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) play with a 10-6 loss at Ashland Friday night (March 23).
- Northwood got off to a good start in the top of the first inning, plating three runs. Javier Martinez opened the scoring with a two-run double, which was followed by a sacrifice fly by Colin McClelland to give NU a 3-0 lead.
- After Ashland got on the board with a run in the second, the Timberwolves scored a pair in the third on a McClelland two-run single to push the advantage to 5-1.
- The Eagles began their comeback with a run in the third to cut the NU lead to 5-2.
- The big inning of the game for Ashland proved to be the fourth, when the Eagles plated five runs. That gave the Eagles their first lead of the day at 7-5.
- AU added two more runs in the sixth and one in the seventh to go up 10-5.
- Northwood got one back in the top of the eighth when Martinez scored on a wild pitch to cut the lead down to 10-6.
- NU left two runners on base in the eighth and was retired in order in the ninth to close out the game.
NU/ASHLAND GAME STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 6/6/4, Ashland: 10/12/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 6, Ashland: 12
- Winning Pitcher: Chace Hitchock (3-1) 7.0 IP, 5 R (4 ER),
- Losing Pitcher: Jake Gross (0-3) 3 2/3 IP, 6 R, (5 ER)
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- McClelland: 1-3, 3 RBI
- Martinez: 1-3, 2 RBI, R
- Northwood and Ashland will play a doubleheader Saturday (March 24). First pitch is set for 1 p.m.