OVERVIEW – ASHLAND
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 4, Ashland Eagles 1/Northwood 6, Ashland 1 (Two Seven-Inning Games)
RECORDS: Northwood 15-7, 2-1 GLIAC/Ashland 9-7, 1-2 GLIAC
LOCATION: Donges Field – Ashland, Ohio
RECAP: Northwood gets a pair of strong pitching performances in a doubleheader sweep at Ashland Saturday (March 24), winning game one 4-1 before taking game two 6-1.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Ashland got their lone run of the opener in the bottom of the third inning to go up 1-0.
- The Timberwolves had numerous chances to score in the opening six innings, drawing eight walks. But NU had just one hit through six, sending the game to the final frame with the Eagles still leading 1-0.
- Northwood began their comeback with one out in the seventh. After a David Vinsky walk, Javier Martinez had a run-scoring double to tie the score 1-1.
- With two outs in the inning, a wild pitch from Ashland scored pinch-runner Austin Montas-Burt to give NU their first lead of the day at 2-1.
- Travis Janes then came through with a RBI single to plate Colin McClelland to extend the advantage.
- After a Janes stolen base, Ryan Chargo had a double that scored Janes to round out the scoring.
- That was all the offense that Tyler Jandron would need, as he closed out the complete game victory.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 4/6/1, Ashland: 1/4/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 10, Ashland: 5
- Winning Pitcher: Tyler Jandron (4-1) 7 IP, 4 H, R, 7 K, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Devin Peters (1-4) 2 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 K, BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- McClelland: 2-3, R
- Janes: 1-3, R, RBI, SB
- Martinez: 1-4, 2B, RBI
- Chargo: 1-1, 2B, RBI
- Jandron improved to 16-2 for his career at Northwood. His 16 wins are now good for fourth in program history for wins.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Ashland pulled off a double-steal in the bottom of the first inning to go up 1-0.
- The score remained 1-0 until the fourth inning when NU leveled the score on a Janes infield single.
- Northwood gained the lead in the sixth thanks to a Michael Karam sacrifice fly in the sixth, sending the game to the final inning with NU on top 2-1.
- For the second straight game, the Timberwolves put together a four-run seventh inning to close out a victory. The rally started with an RBI single by McClelland to make the score 3-1.
- NU then made it 4-1 on a run-scoring double by Janes, which was followed by a throwing error to add another run.
- Northwood rounded out the scoring on a Brian Dombrowski bases-loaded walk to push the lead to 6-1.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 6/7/1, Ashland: 1/4/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 11, Ashland: 4
- Winning Pitcher: Ian Dimitrie (6-0) 5 2/3 IP, 4 H, R, 7 K, BB
- Losing Pitcher: Josh Stover (1-2) 5 1/3 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 3 K, 5 BB
- Save: Lennon Gwizdala (6) 1 1/3 IP, 0 H, 2 K, 0 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Janes: 2-3, 2B, R, 2 RBI, BB
- McClelland: 2-4, 2B, 2 R, RBI
- Dimitrie improved to 16-8 for his career at Northwood. His 16 wins are now good for a tie for fourth in program history for wins, joining Jandron. The duo is only two wins behind all-time leader Trent Mulder (18).
- Gwizdala's sixth save of the season already places him fourth on the single-season saves list in Northwood history. He now has 13 saves for his career, which puts him in a tie for second place in school history with Andrew Thompson (2008-11).
- Northwood and Ashland will finish the four-game series Sunday (March 25) with a single nine-inning game. First pitch is set for 1 p.m.