OVERVIEW – ASHLAND
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 9, Ashland Eagles 4
RECORDS: Northwood 16-7, 3-1 GLIAC/Ashland 9-8, 1-3 GLIAC
LOCATION: Donges Field – Ashland, Ohio
RECAP: Northwood defeats Ashland 9-4 Sunday (March 25) as the Timberwolves take three of four in the series to open Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) play.
- One day after Northwood scored eight of their 10 runs in the final inning of two games of a doubleheader, it was the first inning of today's contest that proved to be the difference.
- The Timberwolves scored five in the opening inning, starting with an RBI double by David Vinsky.
- Colin McClelland then had an RBI single, which was followed by a Kyle Ziegler bases-loaded walk to put NU on top 3-0.
- With the bases still loaded, Michael Karam was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, which was followed by a sacrifice fly by Brian Dombrowski to give NU a 5-0 lead.
- After the Eagles cut the lead to 5-1 in the bottom of the first, neither team scored again until the fourth when NU got a run thanks to an error.
- Ashland got one back in the bottom of the fourth inning to send the game to the fifth with NU on top 6-2.
- That is where the score remained until the top of the eighth inning, when Dombrowski hit his third home run of the season to push the Northwood advantage to 7-2.
- The Eagles made things interesting in the eighth, scoring a pair of runs to make it 7-4. AU had the bases loaded, but NU closer Lennon Gwizdala got the final four outs of the game to give the Timberwolves the win.
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood 9/8/2, Ashland 4/5/5
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood 13, Ashland 5
- Winning Pitcher: Nathan Langenfeld (2-0) 5 IP, 2 H, 2 R, K, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Sam Rice (1-1) 0 IP, 2 H, 4 R (3 ER), BB
- Save: Lennon Gwizdala (7) 1 1/3 IP, H, K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Gwizdala's seventh save of the season already ties him for third on the Northwood single-season list, pulling him even with his total from a year ago. He now has 14 saves for his career, which puts him second on the career list. He trails only Jason Moczul (21).
- After 23 straight games away from Midland, Northwood will host its home opener in a series against Purdue Northwest beginning Thursday (March 29). Game time for the nine inning game is set for 4 p.m.