OVERVIEW – TIFFIN
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 15, Tiffin Dragons 2/Northwood 9, Tiffin 6 (10 Innings)
RECORDS: Northwood 22-7, 9-1 GLIAC/Tiffin 9-15, 3-7 GLIAC
LOCATION: Heminger Field – Tiffin, Ohio
RECAP: Northwood extends its winning streak to nine with a pair of wins at Tiffin Thursday (April 5), winning game one 15-2 before posting a comeback 9-6 win in 10 innings in the nightcap.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood set the tone for the opening game with a five-run first inning, which got rolling on a three-run homer by Colin McClelland.
- Later, after a Travis Janes triple and a Kyle Ziegler walk, Michael Karam tripled to right-center that pushed the NU advantage to 5-0.
- After the Dragons got one back in the bottom of the first, Ryan McClelland hit a solo homer in the second inning to give Northwood a 6-1 lead.
- Tiffin plated one in the bottom of the second to make it 6-2, but that proved to be the final time the Dragons would score.
- On the other side, the Timberwolves went on to have a trio of three-run innings the rest of the way. In the fourth, Javier Martinez had a two-run double followed by a sacrifice fly for Colin McClelland to give Northwood a 9-2 advantage.
- One inning later, the Timberwolves took advantage of the Dragons struggling to throw strikes. After a Janes leadoff single, Northwood drew two walks and were hit by two pitches over the next four batters. Dombrowski (hit by pitch) and Ryan McClelland (walk) each had RBIs in that stretch. David Vinsky added an RBI single later in the frame to make the score 12-2.
- Colin McClelland finished out his big game in the seventh inning, hitting his second three-run homer of the game to close out the scoring.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 15/11/2, Tiffin: 2/5/1
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 5, Tiffin: 7
- Winning Pitcher – Tyler Jandron (6-1): 6 IP, 5 H, 2 R (1 ER), 8 K, 4 BB
- Losing Pitcher – Luke Fraley (3-4): 4 IP, 7 H, 9 H, 3 BB, 3 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- C. McClelland: 2-4, 2 HR (5), 2 R, 7 RBIs
- R. McClelland: 2-3, HR (4), 3 R, 2 RBI
- Martinez: 1-3, 2B, 2 RBI, R, 2 BB
- Janes: 3-4, 3B, 2 R
- Karam: 1-3, 2 RBI, R
- Jandron's win moved him to 18-2 in his career at Northwood. He has now the school record for victories in a career, joining Trent Mulder (2003-06).
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Timberwolves broke up a scoreless game in the fifth with five runs. Vinsky got things going with an RBI single, which was followed by a two-run double by Martinez.
- The big hit of the inning came again from Colin McClelland. His third homer of the day was a two-run shot to push the advantage to 5-0.
- Tiffin came right back, scoring two in the third and four in the fourth to take a 6-5 lead.
- The score remained that way until the seventh when Keaton Sackett came up big for the Timberwolves. His leadoff home run in the final inning of regulation sent the game to extra innings tied.
- Neither team scored until the 10th inning when NU broke through. The Timberwolves plated three runs in the frame, thanks to an RBI double by Ziegler and a two-run single by Sackett to give Northwood a 9-6 lead.
- Junior reliever Lennon Gwizdala was outstanding in relief once again for Northwood to close out the win. He came in with one out in the seventh and proceeded to retire 11 straight Dragons to finish the game. Gwizdala struck out the final five Tiffin batters of the contest.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 9/8/1, Tiffin: 6/9/2
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 7, Tiffin: 6
- Winning Pitcher – Lennon Gwizdala (2-0): 3 2/3 IP, 0 H, 7 K, 0 BB
- Losing Pitcher – Michael Ross (0-3): 3 2/3 IP, 3 H, 3 R, K, 2 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Sackett: 3-4, HR (2), R, 3 RBI
- Martinez: 2B, 2 RBI
- C. McClelland: HR (6), 2 R, 2 RBI
- Northwood has now gone 15-1 in its last 16 games and 21-2 in its last 23 games.
- Northwood will play a nine-inning game against Tiffin Friday (April 6). First pitch is set for 1 p.m.