OVERVIEW – TIFFIN
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 12, Tiffin Dragons 10
RECORDS: Northwood 23-7, 10-1 GLIAC/Tiffin 9-16, 3-8 GLIAC
LOCATION: Heminger Field – Tiffin, Ohio
RECAP: Northwood earns another comeback win, defeating Tiffin 12-10 Friday afternoon (April 6).
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- On a windy day in Ohio, Northwood got things going in the top of the first inning on a two-run homer by David Vinsky.
- Later in the inning, Kyle Ziegler extended the lead to 3-0 with an RBI single.
- Tiffin responded in the bottom of the inning, putting six runs on the board to take a 6-3 advantage after one.
- Northwood bounced right back in the top of the second inning – Colin McClelland hit a three-run homer to tie the game 6-6. It was McClelland's fourth home run in the first three games of the series.
- Tiffin was the better team in the middle innings, scoring one in the fourth, two in the fifth and one in the sixth to take a 10-8 lead.
- NU began its comeback with a solo homer by Nick Palmer in the seventh to cut the advantage down to one at 10-9.
- With runners on second and third, the Timberwolves were down to their final out in the ninth. Miles Hardy scored the game-tying run on a passed ball to make the score 10-10.
- For the second day in a row, Keaton Sackett came up with a big hit for Northwood. His single, combined with a Tiffin error brought home a pair of runs to put the Timberwolves on top 13-10.
- Lennon Gwizdala came on to record the final three outs of the game to give the Timberwolves the win.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 12/8/3, Tiffin: 2/5/1
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 6, Tiffin: 9
- Winning Pitcher – Max Bain (3-0): IP, H, BB, 2 K
- Losing Pitcher – Deylen Miley (1-1): 1 1/3 IP, H, 3 R (0 ER), 3 BB, K
- Save – Lennon Gwizdala (10): IP, 0 H, 0 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Vinsky: 1-3, HR (3), 2 RBIs, 2 R
- McClelland: HR (6), 3 RBIs
- Ziegler: 2-4, 2 R, RBI
- Palmer: HR (4), R, RBI
- Gwizdala's 10th save sets a new Northwood record for saves in a season, breaking the old mark of nine set by Jason Moczel (1998). Gwizdala now has 17 saves for his career, good for second place in school history behind Moczel (21).
- In addition to his four home runs in the series so far, McClelland has 12 RBIs in the three games played. He had now driven in 40 on the season, seven more than any other player in the GLIAC.
- Sackett had the game-tying home run in the seven inning and a two-run single in the 10th inning of yesterday's 9-6 win over Tiffin in game two of a doubleheader.
- The Timberwolves have now won 10 straight and have won 16 of 17 and 22 of 24 overall.
- Northwood will finish their season against Tiffin with a nine-inning game Saturday (April 7). First pitch is set for 1 p.m.