OVERVIEW – TIFFIN
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 21, Tiffin Dragons 3
RECORDS: Northwood 24-7, 11-1 GLIAC/Tiffin 9-17, 3-9 GLIAC
LOCATION: Heminger Field – Tiffin, Ohio
RECAP: Northwood jumps out to a big early lead and cruises to a 21-3 win over Tiffin Saturday afternoon (April 7) to complete a series sweep.
- In the previous two games, Northwood needed to score in the final inning to win both times. The Timberwolves wasted no time taking control of this contest, scoring six runs in the top of the first. NU got going on a sacrifice fly by Javier Martinez.
- Colin McClelland then continued his big weekend, hitting his fifth home run in the four-game set. His two-run shot made the score 3-0.
- After NU scored on a passed by and an RBI groundout by Miles Hardy, Brian Dombrowski pushed the lead to 6-0 on an RBI double.
- Northwood's offense kept rolling in the second inning, pushing across seven more runs. After the Timberwolves scored on an error, Nick Palmer plated a pair on a two-run single to make the score 9-0.
- After a Dombrowski sac fly, Ryan McClelland followed his brother's lead with a 3-run homer of his own to make the score 13-0 after just two innings.
- Northwood got two more runs in the fifth, both on errors by Tiffin, making it 15-0 heading to the sixth.
- A Palmer RBI fielder's choice and a Kyle Ziegler run-scoring infield single in the sixth made the Northwood lead 17-0.
- In the eighth, the Timberwolves got to 20 runs by plating three. Noah Ingram started the scoring with an RBI triple, which was followed by run-scoring singles by Hardy and Ryan Chargo.
- Tiffin got on the board with three runs in the eighth before Northwood closed the scoring out in the top of the ninth on a Brooks Ullery solo homer.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 21/22/2, Tiffin: 3/5/6
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 13, Tiffin: 5
- Winning Pitcher – Nathan Langenfeld (3-0): 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, BB, 6 K
- Losing Pitcher – Jake Monnin (0-3): IP, 6 H, 6 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 0 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- R. McClelland: 2-5, HR (5), 2 R, 3 RBIs
- C. McClelland: 2-4, HR (7), 3 R, 2 RBIs
- Sackett: 4-5, 3 R
- Palmer: 2-3, 3 R, 3 RBIs
- Ziegler: 2-5, R, RBI
- Hardy: 2-5, 2 R, 2 RBIs
- Dombrowski: 2-2, 2B, 2 RBIs
- Ullery: HR (1)
- Collin McClelland finished the Tiffin series with five home runs, 14 RBIs and eight runs scored. He has six more RBIs (42) than any other player in the GLIAC.
- The Timberwolves have now won 11 straight and have won 17 of 18 and 23 of 25 overall.
- Last season after 31 games, Northwood stood at 24-7 overall, 11-2 in the GLIAC.
- Northwood will begin a four-game series at home against Davenport Friday (April 13). First pitch for the nine-inning game is set for 4 p.m.