OVERVIEW – DAVENPORT
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 2, Davenport Panthers 1/Davenport 11, Northwood 5
RECORDS: Northwood 25-8, 12-2 GLIAC/Davenport 18-14, 8-6 GLIAC
LOCATION: Gerace Stadium – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Tyler Jandron's record-breaking day leads Northwood to a split in a doubleheader versus Davenport Thursday (April 12), with NU taking game one 2-1 before DU bounced back 11-5 in game two.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Davenport drew first blood in the opening inning of the doubleheader. After Tyler Jandron successfully picked off a runner at first base, the Panthers responded with a solo shot over the centerfield fence to make it 1-0 heading into the bottom of the inning.
- Northwood responded with authority in the second. Nick Palmer got the rally started with a leadoff triple, Michael Karam capitalized with a two-out bunt single to bring him home and tie the game.
- After the Karam stole second base to get into scoring position, Brian Dombrowski plated his teammate with an RBI double to right-center to give the Timberwolves the lead after two innings of play.
- The two pitchers controlled the offenses the rest of the way, as those second inning runs proved to be the last of game.
- Jandron allowed just one hit, a single, over the final four innings of the game.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 2/5/0, Davenport: 1/4/0
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 5, Davenport: 5
- Winning Pitcher – Jandron (7-1): 7 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 7 K, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher – K. Johnson-Battliana (3-3): 5 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 7 K, 2 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- M. Karam: 2-2, 2B, R, RBI
- B. Dombrowski: 1-2, 2B, RBI
- N. Palmer: 1-3, 3B, R
- Jandron set the Northwood school record for wins in a career with 19, breaking the old mark of 18 set by Trent Mulder (2003-06). Jandron now has gone 19-2 in his two-year career at Northwood. Jandron's teammate Ian Dimitrie stands with 17 for his career.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Timberwolves got off to a good start in the night nightcap. David Vinsky and Martinez got it started with one-out singles, and Keaton Sackett doubled the former home to put Northwood ahead 1-0 after the first.
- Davenport would answer back quickly in the second, scoring five runs on five hits to put the Panthers up 5-1.
- The Panthers padded their lead the next time they came to the plate. Taking advantage of two walks and an error, DU scored a pair of unearned runs to push the advantage to 7-1.
- Davenport then made it 10-1 in the fifth inning thanks to three more runs.
- The Timberwolves finally cut into the deficit in the seventh. After Miles Hardy singled and Vinsky lined a double to right, Martinez brought both of them home with a two-run single to make it 10-3 Panthers after seven.
- Davenport would tack on one more run in the top of the ninth with a solo home run to send the game to the ninth with DU leading 11-3.
- Northwood changed the final score with a late rally in the bottom of the final frame. After Chris Clark and Vinsky reached base with singles, Colin McClelland smacked a two-run base hit to left-center field to cut the lead down to six. That was as close as the Timberwolves would get.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 5/12/4, Davenport: 11/14/2
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 8, Purdue Northwest: 15
- Winning Pitcher – Justin Palmbos (3-3): 7 IP, 10 H, 3 R, 5 K, 3 BB
- Losing Pitcher – Nathan Langenfeld (3-1): 1.1 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 0 K, BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Martinez: 3-4, 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 BB
- Vinsky: 3-5, 2B, 2 R
- C. McClelland: 1-5, 1 R, 2 RBI
- Sackett: 2-4, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- This was David Vinsky's tenth game with at least three hits or more this season.
- The loss snapped Northwood's 12-game winning streak.
- Even with the loss, the Timberwolves have gone 24-3 in their last 27 games.
- Northwood will take on Davenport Friday (April 13) in a neutral-site doubleheader at Eastern Michigan University. First pitch is set for 2:30 p.m.