OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORES: Wayne State Warriors 12, Northwood 9 Timberwolves/Wayne State 7, Northwood 3
RECORDS: Northwood 29-13, 16-7 GLIAC/Wayne State 24-17, 12-10 GLIAC
LOCATION: Gerace Stadium – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood drops a pair of games to Wayne State Saturday afternoon, falling 12-9 in game one before dropping a 7-3 contest in the nightcap.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Timberwolves opened the scoring in the bottom of the second. Nick Palmer cracked a one-out double to get things started, and Kyle Ziegler brought him home with a single up the middle with two out to give Northwood a 1-0 lead after two.
- Wayne State answered in the top of the third. After a single, walk, and hit-by-pitch loaded the bases with two out, a walk forced in the tying run and the visitors drew even going into the bottom of the frame.
- The Timberwolves took their turn with the bats in the latter half of the third and went back in front. Brian Dombrowski reached on an error and Ryan McClelland doubled to put runners at second and third with zero out. Dombrowski ended up scoring on a balk and Javier Martinez plated McClelland with an RBI single to make the score 3-1.
- The Warriors countered immediately in the fourth. A leadoff walk and wild pitch moved a runner to second with two out. A double down the left field line cut Northwood's lead in half, and an ensuing single plated the tying run as Wayne State fought back to draw even at three.
- Northwood regained their edge in the bottom of the fourth. Ziegler reached on a hit-by-pitch, Keaton Sackett singled, and Dombrowski walked to load the bases with one out. With two outs and runners on the move in a full count, David Vinsky smacked a two-run single to right field and restored the two-run lead for the Timberwolves.
- Northwood didn't rest and doubled their lead before the inning was out. Dombrowski came around to score on a wild pitch and Martinez brought Vinsky home with an RBI single to make it 7-3 Timberwolves heading to the fifth.
- Wayne State didn't go quietly and bounced back with authority in the sixth. Two walks and an error put runners at first and third with zero out. A sacrifice fly plated one run and a two-run homer to left suddenly made it a one-run game at 7-6.
- The Warriors tied the game later in the sixth. A hit-by-pitch and single put runners at first and second with two out. An single followed and scored the tying run, capping a four-run frame for Wayne State heading into the home half of the frame.
- The Timberwolves responded once again in the bottom of the inning. Sackett reached on an error and Dombrowski walked to put runners at first and second with zero out. McClelland came through and plated Sackett with a single to put Northwood back ahead 8-7. Dombrowski scored on another wild pitch to make it a two-run spread heading to the seventh.
- Once more, the Warriors fought back to take their first lead of the contest. Back-to-back singles and a hit-by-pitch loaded the bases with zero out. A single up the middle made it a one-run game, a sacrifice fly tied the contest, and another RBI single put Wayne State on top 10-9.
- A wild pitch and RBI single capped the five-run inning and gave the Warriors a 12-9 lead going into the bottom of the seventh.
- NU was unable to respond in the bottom of the inning, giving WSU the win.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 9/8/1, Wayne State: 12/15/3
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 5, Wayne State: 12
- Winning Pitcher – Taylor Horn (2-2): 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R (0 ER), 2 K, 1 BB
- Losing Pitcher – Lennon Gwizdala (4-2): 4 IP, 7 H, 9 R (9 ER), 1 K, 2 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Martinez: 2-4, 2 RBI
- Vinsky: 1-4, R, 2 RBI
- R. McClelland: 2-4, 2B, R, RBI
- Ziegler: 1-2, R, RBI, BB
- Dombrowski: 2 BB, 3 R
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- After posting the comeback win in game one, the Warriors kept the momentum going early in game two.
- WSU scored one in the first, one in the second and two in the third to lead 4-0.
- Northwood fought back in the fifth inning, starting with a two-run triple by Dombrowski to make the score 4-2.
- Dombrowski later scored on a groundout by Vinsky to cut the WSU lead down to one at 4-3.
- That proved to be the last time the Timberwolves would score, however. Wayne State plated one in the sixth and two more in the seventh to earn the victory.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 3/8/0, Wayne State: 7/12/0
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 6, Wayne State: 12
- Winning Pitcher – Josh Nelson (4-2): 7 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 6 K, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher – Ian Dimitrie (8-2): 6 IP, 10 H, 5 R, 4 BB, 10 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Dombrowski: 2-3, 3B, 2 RBI, R
- Ziegler: 2-3, R
- Sackett: 1-2, 2B, RBI
- Northwood will conclude their four-game series against Wayne State with a single game Sunday (April 29). First pitch is set for 1 p.m.