OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 20, Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 3
RECORDS: Northwood 31-14, 18-7 GLIAC / Saginaw Valley 20-25, 5-19 GLIAC
LOCATION: SV Baseball Complex – University Center, Mich.
RECAP: Baseball finishes off suspended 20-3 win in game against Saginaw Valley Saturday (May 5).
- On a breezy day, Northwood got going in the top of the first inning. Javier Martinez had a two-out run-scoring single to put the Timberwolves up 1-0.
- SVSU responded with a run of their own in the bottom of the first inning, pulling off a double steal to level the score 1-1.
- The second inning proved to be the key to the game, as Northwood broke the game open. NU plated eight runs in the frame, starting with a Ryan McClelland two-run single to push the advantage to 3-1.
- After NU made it 5-1 on an error and a passed ball, Northwood got four RBI singles the remainder of the inning. Martinez, Colin McClelland, Keaton Sackett and Nick Palmer all had run-scoring hits in the inning to put Northwood on top 9-1.
- Northwood got to double-digits in the third inning when Colin McClelland had a bases-loaded walk to make the score 10-1.
- The score remained 10-1 until the sixth inning when NU pushed across a pair of runs. Travis Janes had an RBI groundout, which was followed by a double by Kyle Ziegler that gave NU a 12-1 lead.
- SVSU got on the board with one in the bottom of the sixth, but the Timberwolves responded with one big swing in the top of the seventh. Palmer blasted a grand slam to left field, making the score 16-2.
- The Timberwolves put three more runs on the board in the top of the eighth inning, thanks to a two-run double by Colin McClelland and a bases loaded walk by Noah Ingram.
- Northwood plated its final run of the game in the top of the ninth on a Miles Hardy RBI single.
- As darkness was setting in, SVSU got one run in the ninth to make the score 20-3.
- The game was suspended with one runner on and two outs in the bottom of the ninth. The contest was then finished on three pitches Saturday afternoon prior to the start of the two team's doubleheader.
- Northwood and SVSU will play a doubleheader Saturday (May 5). The teams will play two seven-inning games starting at 1 p.m.