OVERVIEW – TIFFIN (GLIAC TOURNAMENT OPENING GAME)
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 9, Tiffin Dragons 3
RECORDS: Northwood 35-14, Tiffin 16-28
LOCATION: The Corner Ballpark – Detroit, Mich.
RECAP: Top-seeded Northwood opened play at the GLIAC tournament with a 9-3 win over No. 6 Tiffin Thursday afternoon (May 10).
- Northwood started the event by getting on the board in the top of the first inning on a Javier Martinez RBI single to give NU the early advantage.
- The Timberwolves extended their lead in the third with a pair of runs, starting when Kyle Ziegler scored on a throwing error on a double by Ryan McClelland.
- Brian Dombrowski later plated McClelland on a sacrifice fly to make the score 3-0.
- The Dragons fought back in the fourth and fifth inning, scoring one in the fourth and two in the fifth to level the score 3-3.
- That proved to be the last time the Dragons would score in the game. The Timberwolves took the lead right back in the bottom of the fifth on a Colin McClelland sac fly to give NU a 4-3 lead.
- Northwood got three key runs in the seventh, thanks to a Nick Palmer two-run single and a Ziegler sac fly to make the score 7-3.
- The Timberwolves added two more insurance runs in the eighth on an RBI double by Vinsky and a Martinez run-scoring single to push the advantage to 9-3.
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 9/16/1, Tiffin: 3/11/2
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 11, Tiffin: 12
- Winning Pitcher – Tyler Jandron (9-2): 7 IP, 10 H, 3 R, (2 R), 3 BB, 6 K
- Losing Pitcher – Michael Boswell (2-7): 4 1/3 IP, 7 H, 4 R, BB, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Martinez: 4-5, R, 2 RBI
- Vinsky: 3-5, 2 2B, R, RBI
- C. McClelland: 2-4, 2B, R, RBI
- Palmer: 2 RBI
- Janes 2-5
- R. McClelland/Dombrowski: 2 R each
- Jandron added to his NU career-record win total in the victory, now standing with a 21-3 career mark.
- Vinsky's two doubles now give him 22 this season and 49 in his two years at Northwood. Those are the top-two single-season double totals in school history and put him just two off the career record held by NU Hall of Famer David Lamky (51 – 2001-04). Vinsky has led the GLIAC in doubles in each of his first two years at Northwood.
- Northwood will play Friday (May 11) at 2:30 p.m. against the loser of the No. 3 Ashland and No. 4 Wayne State game. AU and WS play later today at 6 p.m.