OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE (GLIAC TOURNAMENT SECOND ROUND)
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 3, Wayne State Warriors 1
RECORDS: Northwood 35-14, Wayne State 27-21
LOCATION: The Corner Ballpark – Detroit, Mich.
RECAP: Top-seeded Northwood remained unbeaten in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) Tournament with a 3-1 win over No. 4 Wayne State in the second round of the event Friday (May 11).
- The Warriors had good swings early on in the game and took the lead in the second 1-0.
- The score remained that way until the sixth when David Vinsky got the Timberwolves on the board with a run-scoring double to tie the game 1-1.
- Javier Martinez then hit a bloop double down the right field line that scored Vinsky to give the Timberwolves the lead 2-1.
- Northwood expanded the advantage in the eighth on a Keaton Sacket single to make the score 3-1.
- After a slow start, Ian Dimitrie allowed just one hit over his final six innings of work. He ended up going eight innings, allowing four hits and one run with five walks while striking out seven.
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 3/7/1, Wayne State: 1/4/1
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 7, Wayne State: 7
- Winning Pitcher – Ian Dimitrie (10-2): 8 IP, 4 H, R, 5 BB, 7 K
- Losing Pitcher – Nolan Dill (3-3): 5 2/3 IP, 3 H, 2 R, BB, 4 K
- Save – Lennon Gwizdala (12): IP, BB, K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Brian Dombrowski: 2-4, 2 R
- Martinez: 2-3, 2B, RBI
- Vinsky: 2B, RBI
- Dimitrie is now the second pitcher in Northwood history to win 10 games in a season, joining Tyler Jandron from last season (12). He currently leads the GLIAC in wins.
- Vinsky's double was the 50th of his career and put him one off the career record held by NU Hall of Famer David Lamky (51 – 2001-04). Vinsky has led the GLIAC in doubles in each of his first two years at Northwood.
- Gwizdala added to his NU-record save total, now having three more than the second-highest total in school history (Jason Moczul – 9 – 1988). Gwizdala now has 19 saves and is within two of the career record of 21 (Moczul).
- Northwood will now play the winner of the Ashland/Grand Valley State game Saturday at 2:30 p.m. AU and GVSU will play at 11 a.m. Saturday after their originally scheduled game was postponed Friday due to rain.