OVERVIEW – ASHLAND (NCAA REGIONAL TOURNAMENT OPENING ROUND)
SCORE: Ashland Eagles 10, Northwood Timberwolves 5
RECORDS: Northwood 38-15, Ashland 33-20
LOCATION: Robin Roberts Stadium – Springfield, Ill.
RECAP: Third-seeded Northwood opened play at the NCAA Midwest Regional with a 10-5 loss to No. 6 seed Ashland Thursday night (May 18).
- After a scoreless first inning, Ashland got thing going in the second, plating three runs.
- The Eagles took advantage of mistakes by the Timberwolves throughout the middle innings, scoring one in the third, one in the fourth and four more in the fifth to open up a 9-0 lead.
- NU was held to one hit in the opening four innings before getting thing going in the fifth. With two outs and two runners on, David Vinsky hit a home run to left field to make the score 9-3.
- Ashland plated one in the seventh to make the score 10-3.
- Northwood got a pair back in the bottom of the ninth, thanks to an RBI single by Travis Janes and a run-scoring fielder's choice off the bat of Brian Dombrowski.
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 5/5/5, Ashland: 10/12/0
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 5, Ashland: 11
- Winning Pitcher – Devin Peters (8-5): 7 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 4 BB, 11 K
- Losing Pitcher – Tyler Jandron (9-3): 4 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 3 BB, 4 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Vinsky: 1-4, HR, 3 RBIs
- Dombrowski/Janes: 1-3, R, BB, RBI
- Northwood entered the game on an eight-game winning streak. In that stretch, the most runs NU had allowed in a game was six.
- The Timberwolves committed a season-high five errors in the game. Northwood had made just five errors over the course of their eight-game winning streak and had two in going 4-0 at the GLIAC Tournament last week.
- The Timberwolves entered play with the highest fielding percentage in the GLIAC (.963).
- Northwood had won five straight games against Ashland this season after dropping the first game of the year between the two teams.
- Of the four games played at the Regional Thursday, the only higher-seed to win was top-seeded Illinois-Springfield (11-2 over No. 8 seed Hillsdale). No. 2 seed Bellarmine lost to Southern Indiana (9-7), while fourth-seeded Ohio Dominican lost to Quincy (8-3).
- Northwood will play an elimination game against Bellarmine Friday afternoon (May 19). First pitch is set for 2:30 p.m. Eastern Time.