OVERVIEW – BELLARMINE (NCAA REGIONAL TOURNAMENT)
SCORE: Bellarmine Knights 6, Northwood Timberwolves 1
RECORDS: Northwood 38-16, Bellarmine 38-18
LOCATION: Robin Roberts Stadium – Springfield, Ill.
RECAP: Third-seeded Northwood saw its 2018 season come to an end with a 6-1 loss to No. 2 seed Bellarmine Friday afternoon (May 18) at the NCAA Midwest Regional.
- After a scoreless first inning, Bellarmine got thing going in the second, plating four runs on five hits and a pair of Northwood errors to lead 4-0.
- Bellarmine added two more runs in the third to go up 6-0.
- After struggling in the first 12 innings of the tournament, Northwood's pitching settled down at that point. The Knights had eight hits through the first three innings but had just two hits over the final five frames.
- Northwood got on the board in the sixth inning thanks to a solo home run by Javier Martinez, but that would prove to be the lone run of the contest for the Timberwolves.
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 1/6/3, Bellarmine: 6/10/1
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 7, Bellarmine: 8
- Winning Pitcher – Hunter Spencer (7-2): 9 IP, 6 H, R, BB, 6 K
- Losing Pitcher – Ian Dimitrie (10-3): 6 1/3 IP, 8 H, 6 R, BB, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Over the last two years, Northwood won 84 games (46 in 2017, 38 in 2018) – the two highest win totals in program history. Prior to coach Jordan Bischel's arrival in 2015, the best two-year win total for Northwood was 55 (1989-90).
- Northwood won two GLIAC and GLIAC Tournament Championships over the last two years. The program had never won a GLIAC title of any kind prior to last season.