OVERVIEW – CARSON-NEWMAN
SCORES: Carson-Newman Eagles 11, Northwood Timberwolves 8
RECORDS: Northwood 0-1, Carson-Newman 9-1
LOCATION: Silver Diamond – Jefferson City, Tenn.
RECAP: David Vinsky reaches the 200 hit mark for his career in baseball's 11-8 season-opening loss at Carson-Newman Friday afternoon (February 15).
- David Vinsky entered the game with 199 hits for his career. He wasted no time reaching the 200 mark for his career with a first-inning single.
- Carson-Newman plated two in the first inning prior to Northwood getting on the board in the top of the second on a Miles Hardy sacrifice fly that scored Connor Kin.
- Early missed opportunities cost the Timberwolves, as Northwood left six runners on base in the first three innings. The Eagles took better advantage of their chances early, taking a 4-1 lead to the fourth.
- After leaving those runners on base, Northwood put three runs on the board in the fourth after the first two batters were retired. Cole Brooks had a two-out double, which was followed by NU's first homer of the year by Keaton Sackett. His two-run shot was immediately followed by a solo shot by Vinsky to tie the game 4-4.
- The Eagles responded with two runs in the bottom of the fourth to go up 6-4.
- Northwood's Nick Palmer cut the advantage back down to one in the top of the fifth with a solo homer to make the score 6-5.
- Carson-Newman put two runs on the board in the bottom of the sixth to push the advantage to 8-5.
- NU responded once again in the seventh, starting with Vinsky's second solo home run of the game. The Timberwolves then got RBIs from Kyle Ziegler and Miles Hardy in the inning to tie the game at 8-8.
- The Panthers took advantage of pitching miscues in the bottom of the seventh to round out the scoring. Carson-Newman scored three runs on just one hit, thanks to a walk and four hit batters. The final two hit batters came with the bases loaded to make the score 11-8.
- Northwood had one final chance to score in the eighth inning but left a pair of runners on base.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 8/14/4, Carson-Newman: 11/13/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 9, Carson-Newman: 12
- Winning Pitcher: Greg Valentine (3-0): 1.0 IP, 3 R, (1 ER)
- Losing Pitcher: Nick Wyatt (0-1): 1/3 IP, 2 R, 2 BB
- Save: Matt Bradley: 2 IP, 3 Ks
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Vinsky: 4-5, 2 HR, 2 R, 2 RBIs
- Sackett: 2-4, HR, 2 RBI
- Palmer: 2-5, HR, RBI
- Ziegler: 2-5, RBI
- Vinsky is the third member of the 200 hit club at Northwood, joining former teammate Daniel Pulver (225 – 2014-17) and David Lamky (225 – 2001-04).
- Northwood and Carson-Newman will continue their four-game set with a doubleheader Saturday (February 16). Game one will get under way at Noon.