OVERVIEW – CARSON-NEWMAN
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 9, Carson-Newman Eagles 4/Carson-Newman 10, Northwood 6
RECORDS: Northwood 1-2, Carson-Newman 10-2
LOCATION: Silver Diamond – Jefferson City, Tenn.
RECAP: Jake Sabol picks up his first win as head coach at Northwood as baseball splits doubleheader at Carson-Newman Saturday afternoon (February 16).
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS (SEVEN INNINGS)
- Northwood wasted no time getting going in game one, thanks to senior shortstop Colin McClelland. His three-run homer plated David Vinsky and Cole Brooks, giving NU a 3-0 lead after the opening half inning.
- The Timberwolves extended their advantage in the second on an RBI single by Vinsky that scored Jacob Rybicki to make the score 4-0.
- Carson-Newman responded in the second and third innings, scoring three runs to cut the lead down to 4-3 after three innings.
- Northwood responded with three runs of their own in the fifth inning. Kyle Ziegler got the Timberwolves going with an RBI double that scored Chris Clark. Travis Janes then followed with a two-run homer to push the lead to 7-3.
- After the eagles got one back in the sixth, Northwood finished out the scoring in the seventh with two runs. Ziegler scored McClelland on an RBI single to make it 8-4. Ziegler later scored on a passed ball to make the score 9-4.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 9/12/2, Carson-Newman: 4/8/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 7, Carson-Newman: 9
- Winning Pitcher: Max Bain (1-0): 5.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 7 K, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Kyle Cagle (2-1): 3 2/1 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 BB, 4 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- McClelland: 2-4, HR, 2B, 2 R, 3 RBIs
- Ziegler: 2-4, 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI
- Janes: 2-3, HR, 2 RBI, SB
- Clark: 2-4, R
- The win was the first for new head coach Jake Sabol at Northwood.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS (NINE INNINGS)
- Carson-Newman used the long ball in the opening three innings, registering a two-run homer and a grand slam to lead 6-0.
- The Eagles plated two more to go up 8-0 heading to the fifth.
- Northwood responded with a big fifth inning, scoring six runs to get back into the game. The rally got going on a Ziegler double that scored Nick Palmer.
- Connor Kin then played a pair on a double of his own to score Ziegler and Clark to cut the lead down to 8-3.
- NU then got a pair of home runs to cut the lead to two. Cole Brooks hit his first homer as Timberwolf, a two-run shot to make it 8-5. Vinsky followed with his third homer in three games to send the game to the sixth inning with the score 8-6.
- That proved to be the last time the Timberwolves would score, however. The Eagles scored one in the sixth and one it the seventh.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 6/8/2, Carson-Newman: 10/9/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 2, Carson-Newman: 7
- Winning Pitcher: Greg Valentine (4-0): 4 2/3 IP, 2 H, R, 5 K
- Losing Pitcher: Zach Kregel (0-1): 3 2/1 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 BB, 4 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Ziegler: 3-4, 2B, R, RBI
- Vinsky: HR (3), BB, RBI, R
- Brooks: HR, 2 RBI
- Northwood and Carson-Newman will conclude their four-game series Sunday (February 17). The nine-inning game will begin at 1 p.m.