OVERVIEW – #22 OHIO DOMINICAN
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 7, #22 Ohio Dominican Panthers 5/Northwood 17, Ohio Dominican 4
RECORDS: Northwood 7-3, Ohio Dominican 4-4
LOCATION: Chillicothe, Ohio – VA Memorial Stadium
RECAP: Northwood extended their winning streak to six games Saturday afternoon (March 2), finishing off a series sweep over No. 22 Ohio Dominican with 7-5 and 17-4 wins.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS (SEVEN INNINGS)
- Northwood got off to a fast start in the first inning, beginning with a Nick Palmer RBI double that scored David Vinsky.
- Later in the inning, Keaton Sackett drove home a pair on a single to give the Timberwolves a 3-0 lead after one inning.
- ODU bounced back, scoring one in the third and two in the fourth to tie the game 3-3.
- The top of the fifth inning proved to be the key to the contest for the Timberwolves, putting up five runs. NU got going on a two-run homer by Cole Brooks, making the score 5-3.
- Colin McClelland later had a sacrifice fly that plated Kyle Ziegler before Nick Palmer drove home Vinsky once again on a single to push the lead to 7-3.
- The Panthers hit back-to-back solo home runs in the seventh and final inning before the Timberwolves closed out the win.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 7/8/0, Ohio Dominican: 5/8/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 6, Ohio Dominican: 2
- Winning Pitcher: Jake Gross (2-1) : 5 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 K, BB
- Losing Pitcher: Garret Sendelbach (1-1): 4 2/3 IP, 7 H, 7 R (5 ER), 3 BB, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Brooks: HR, 2 RBI
- Vinsky, 2-4, 2B, 2 R
- Palmer: 2-4, 2B, R, 2 RBI
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS (NINE INNINGS)
- Northwood got off to another fast start in game two, thanks to Vinsky. His two-run homer gave the Timberwolves the early advantage.
- NU broke the game open in the third inning, starting with an RBI single by Palmer.
- Later in the inning, Conner Kin pushed the lead to 5-0 on a two-run single.
- Miles Hardy followed with his first career home run in dramatic fashion. His inside-the-park homer made the score 7-0.
- The Timberwolves kept rolling in the third on a Brooks two-run triple that made it a nine-run lead.
- Northwood finished off their nine-run third inning with a two-run homer by Ziegler, sending the game to the bottom of the third inning with the Timberwolves leading 11-0.
- ODU made it 11-3 with three on the board in the bottom of the third.
- Northwood came right back with a run in the fourth on a sac fly by Miles Hardy.
- McClelland got the lead back to 10 with an RBI single in the fifth to make the score 13-3.
- After the Panthers got an unearned run in the bottom of the sixth, Northwood put together one more big inning in the seventh. McClelland got the scoring starting with an RBI single to plate Trevor Polewka.
- Hardy earned his fourth RBI of the day on a groundout, making the score 15-4.
- NU scored their 16th run on a wild pitch before Michael Karam finished off the scoring with an RBI single.
- Neither team scored over the final 2 1/2 innings of the game.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 17/19/1, Ohio Dominican: 4/9/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 10, Ohio Dominican: 13
- Winning Pitcher: Max Bain (2-0): 6 IP, 7 H, 4 R (3 ER), 7 K, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Logan Giddings (0-1): 2 2/3 IP, 9 H, 10 R, 3 K, 2 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Vinsky: 3-4, HR, 2B, 3 R, 2 RBI
- Ziegler: 2-4, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Kin: 2-4, 2 R, 2 RBI
- Palmer; 2-4, 2 R, RBI
- Hardy: HR, 4 RBI
- Northwood will head to Florida for their annual spring break trip, starting March 9 with games against Northern State and Mary.