OVERVIEW – NORTHERN STATE/MARY
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 8, Northern State Wolves 6/Northwood 4, Mary Marauders 0
RECORDS: Northwood 9-3/Northern State 4-6/Mary 3-8
LOCATION: Auburndale, Fla.
RECAP: Northwood extended their winning streak to eight games with a pair of wins, downing Northern State 8-6 before beating Mary 4-0 Saturday evening (March 9)
NORTHERN STATE HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood came out strong against Northern State, plating three runs in the bottom of the first. Nick Palmer got the Timberwolves on the board on a two-run double
- Later in the first, Keaton Sackett made it 3-0 on a sacrifice fly.
- The Wolves chipped away at the lead, scoring single runs in the second and the fourth to cut the Northwood edge to 3-2.
- Northwood got the lead back to two runs on a Ryan Chargo two-out single in the bottom of the fourth.
- Northern State responded in the top of the fifth, plating a pair to tie the score 4-4.
- The score remained that way until the seventh inning when Northwood put together the key rally of the game. It started with an RBI single by David Vinsky to put the Timberwolves on top 5-4.
- Colin McClelland made it 6-4 with an RBI single, which was immediately followed by a two-run single by Sackett to make the score 8-4
- The Wolves did not give up, scoring two in the eighth to get within two at 8-6
- Northern State had runners on first and second with nobody out in the eighth with the two runs in when an unusual play ended the rally. Lennon Gwizdala struck out the NSU batter, after which the runner on first was picked off from catcher Nick Palmer to first baseman Vinsky. The runner on second for Northern State then tried to take third, but was thrown out from Vinsky to Michael Karam.
- The Wolves then went 1-2-3 in the ninth to give the Timberwolves the win.
NORTHERN STATE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 8/9/4, Northern State: 6/8/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 6, Northern State: 5
- Winning Pitcher: Zach Smith (1-0) : IP, K
- Losing Pitcher: John Poldberg (1-1): 1 2/3 IP, 3 R, 2 H, BB
- Save: Lennon Gwizdala (1): 2 IP, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Sackett: 1-2, 3 RBIs
- Palmer: 1-3, 2 RBIs
- Ziegler: 2-5
- Max Bain: 6 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 7 Ks, 0 BBs
- The pitchers were the stories of the Mary game. Northwood got on the board in the second inning on an error that scored Palmer.
- Palmer was the key part of the Timberwolves extending their lead in the fourth inning. His triple scored Colin McClelland.
- The score remained 2-0 all the way until the ninth inning when Vinsky came through to double the lead. His two-out, two-run single with the bases loaded made the score 4-0.
- Northwood's pitching was the key to the win. The Timberwolves held the Marauders to six hits, one of which went for extra bases.
MARY HIGHLIGHTS STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 4/4/1, Mary: 0/7/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 10, Mary: 9
- Winning Pitcher: Zach Kregel (3-1): 7 IP, 5 H, 11 K, BB
- Losing Pitcher: Parker McRae (1-1): 6 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 9 K, 5 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Vinsky: 2 RBIs
- Brooks/Karam/Vinsky/Palmer: One hit each
- Northwood will take on Minnesota Duluth Sunday (March 10). Starting at 5:15 p.m.