OVERVIEW – MINNESOTA DULUTH
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 23, Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs 3
RECORDS: Northwood 10-3/Minnesota Duluth 1-2
LOCATION: Kissimmee, Fla.
RECAP: Northwood puts up a season-high in runs, extending their winning streak to nine games in a 23-3 victory over Minnesota Duluth Sunday (March 10).
- Northwood got a pair of runs in the first inning on RBI singles by Kyle Ziegler and Nick Palmer.
- After the Bulldogs got one back in the second on a solo home run, the Timberwolves broke the game open in the bottom of the second. Chris Clark put the first run on the board when he scored on a wild pitch.
- Ziegler followed with a two-run double which was followed by a David Vinsky sacrifice fly. Later in the inning Ziegler scored on a wild pitch to make the score 7-1 heading to the third.
- The Timberwolves got into double figures in the third inning with three more runs. Cole Brooks got NU going in the frame with an RBI double.
- Ziegler then drove in his fourth run in the first three innings on a sac fly. Northwood got one more in the third on an error to send the game to the fourth with the score 10-1.
- Northwood kept the runs coming in the fourth with five more runs. Brooks had a two-run single, which was followed by a Vinsky three-run home run to give the Timberwolves a 15-1 lead.
- The Bulldogs got two back in the top of the sixth, but NU responded with two runs of their own in the bottom of the inning. Colin McClelland had an RBI single, followed by a Logan Briggs RBI double to make the score 17-3.
- Northwood reach the 20-run mark in the seven inning. Travis Janes started the scoring with a triple that scored Kin.
- Brooks Ullery then plated Janes with a single, which was followed by a two-run error that made the score 21-3.
- The Timberwolves rounded out the scoring with two in the eighth on a bases loaded walk by Ullery and a run scored on a double play to close out the scoring.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 23/18/0, Minnesota Duluth: 3/6/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood:11, Minnesota Duluth: 6
- Winning Pitcher: Jake Gross (3-0): 6 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 6 K, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Evan Vick (0-1): 3 IP, 8 H, 10 R (9 ER), 2 K, 6 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Brooks: 3-3, 2B, 3 RBIs, 4 R
- Kin: 4-5, 2B, 5 R
- Ziegler: 3-3, 3 R, 4 RBI
- Janes: 2-4, 3B, 4 R, RBI
- Vinsky: 1-2, HR, 4 RBI, 2 R
- Northwood drew a total of 15 walks in the game. Bulldog pitchers threw a combined 215 pitches in the contest.
- Northwood will take on defending national champion Augustana Monday night (March 11). Game time is set for 6 p.m.