OVERVIEW – SIOUX FALLS
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 5, Sioux Falls Cougars 3
RECORDS: Northwood 11-4/Sioux Falls 2-11
LOCATION: Kissimmee, Fla.
RECAP: Lennon Gwizdala sets Northwood record for career saves in baseball's 5-3 win over Sioux Falls Tuesday afternoon (March 12)
- Northwood took an early lead in the top of the first inning on an RBI single by Colin McClelland.
- Sioux Falls tied the game in the bottom of the inning on a balk with a runner on third.
- The Cougars then scored two in the second to take a 3-1 lead.
- NU got one back in the fourth thanks to a Cole Brooks sacrifice fly.
- The biggest hit of the game came from senior Nick Palmer. His two-run double in the top of the seventh gave Northwood the lead back at 4-3.
- Keaton Sacket followed with an RBI single to score Palmer, making the score 5-3.
- That would prove to be the final run of the game
- Senior closer Lennon Gwizdala recorded the final seven outs of the game without allowing a runner, striking out three. That gave him 22 saves for his career, setting a new Northwood record. Gwizdala broke the old record of Jason Moczul, who had 21 saves for the Timberwolves from 1997-2000.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 5/7/1, Sioux Falls: 3/4/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 9, Sioux Falls: 4
- Winning Pitcher: Dakota Roberts (2-0): 6 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 3 K
- Losing Pitcher: Alex Loosbrock (0-3): 3 IP, 3 H, 3 R, BB, 2 K
- Save: Gwizdala (2): 2 1/3 IP, 0 H, 3 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- McClelland: 2-5, RBI
- Palmer: 2B, 2 RBI, R
- Sackett: 1-3, R, RBI, BB
- Northwood will travel to Eckerd Thursday (March 14). First pitch is set for 6 p.m.