OVERVIEW – PURDUE NORTHWEST
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 20, Purdue Northwest Pride 3
RECORDS: Northwood 15-7, 2-2 GLIAC/Purdue Northwest 4-13, 2-2 GLIAC
LOCATION: Hammond, Ind. – Dowling Park
RECAP: Baseball defeats Purdue Northwest 20-3, highlighted by David Vinsky setting the Northwood career record for RBIs in a career Sunday (March 24).
- After a scoreless opening inning, Northwood got rolling in the second. NU scored their first run on an error, which was followed by a Keaton Sackett triple to make the score 2-0.
- Khale Showers followed with an RBI single to give NU a 3-0 lead after two innings.
- In the third, Sackett scored a pair on a double to make it a 5-0 lead.
- Northwood kept it rolling in the fourth inning. Cole Brooks doubled home a run, then scored when he stole third and the throw got away to give the Timberwolves a 7-0 lead.
- Collin McClelland then made it 8-0 on a sacrifice fly, which was followed by a Nick Palmer RBI single that made the score 9-0 after four innings.
- The Timberwolves got into double figures in the fifth on an RBI from Kyle Ziegler.
- Palmer followed by walking with the bases loaded, giving NU an 11-0 lead.
- The Pride got on the board in the fifth inning, scoring three runs.
- Northwood responded to PNW scoring with an eight-run sixth inning, which got going on a Cole Brooks two-run double.
- Ziegler made it 14-3 on a sac fly that scored Travis Janes.
- David Vinsky then made history, thanks to an RBI double. That gives him 141 runs batted in for his career, setting a new Northwood record. The old mark of 140 was held by David Lamky (2001-04).
- NU then added on thanks to an error and a wild pitch to cap the sixth inning to make the score 18-3.
- Northwood rounded out the scoring with an RBI groundout by Showers in the top of the eighth.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 20/20/3, Purdue Northwest: 3/4/7
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 12, Purdue Northwest: 9
- Winning Pitcher: Dakota Roberts (3-0): 5 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 4 BB, 4 K
- Losing Pitcher: Alex Batistatos (0-1): 4 IP, 10 H, 9 R (6 ER), 2 BB, 3 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Brooks: 4-5, 2 2B, 2 R, 3 RBI
- Vinsky: 3-6, 2B, 3 RBI, R
- McClelland: 3-4, 2B, 3 R, RBI
- Sackett: 3-5, 2B, 2 R, 3 RBI
- Showers: 2-5, 2 R, 2 RBI
- Vinsky is now the Northwood career record holder in hits (233), doubles (56), RBIs (141) and batting average (.421).
- Northwood will host its home opener Wednesday (March 27) against Rochester. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.