OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE (TWO NINE INNING GAMES)
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 11, Wayne State Warriors 1/Wayne State 14, Northwood 6
RECORDS: Northwood 17-10, 3-5 GLIAC/Wayne State 21-5, 6-2 GLIAC
LOCATION: Gerace Stadium – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood splits a doubleheader against Wayne State Sunday (March 31), with the Timberwolves winning game one 11-1 before falling in game two 14-6
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood got the scoring going in the second inning on a bases loaded walk about Travis Janes.
- The Timberwolves then plated three runs in the third, starting with a Colin McClelland run-scoring double.
- Nick Palmer then followed with an RBI double of his own, which was followed by a Connor Kin RBI on an error that gave Northwood a 4-0 lead.
- Northwood then broke the game open in the fourth, starting with Janes scoring on a wild pitch.
- David Vinsky added an RBI single to make it 6-0.
- Palmer then had his second double of the day, which scored a pair to give the Timberwolves an 8-0 edge.
- Kin finished the scoring in the fourth with a safety squeeze bunt that made the NU lead 9-0.
- Vinsky put the Timberwolves in double figures with a run-scoring double in the bottom of the fifth.
- After the Warriors got on the board in the top of the sixth, Kin drove in his third run of the game on an RBI single to make the score 11-1. That proved to be the final score.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 11/15/0, Wayne State: 1/6/2
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 10, Wayne State: 8
- Winning Pitcher – Max Bain (4-0): 6 IP, 5 H, R, BB, 8 K
- Losing Pitcher – Dillon McInerney (4-1): 3 1/3 IP, 8 H, 7 R (6 ER), 2 BB, 5 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- McClelland: 4-5, 3 2B, 3 R, RBI
- Vinsky: 3-5, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Palmer: 2-4, 2 2B, 3 RBI, 3 R
- Kin: 2-4, 3 RBI
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Wayne State scored one in the first and two in the second to earn the early 3-0 edge.
- Northwood got on the board in the bottom of the third inning on a Cole Brooks solo home run.
- The Timberwolves cut the lead to one in the fourth thanks to an RBI single from Palmer.
- WSU put together a big fifth inning, scoring five to go up 8-2.
- Palmer got Northwood right back in the game in the bottom of the fifth. His grand slam to left center made the score 8-6.
- The Warriors responded right away in the top of the sixth, hitting a grand slam of their own in the inning to get the advantage right back to 12-6.
- WSU added two more in the eighth to close out the scoring.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 6/9/2, Wayne State: 14/13/1
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 5, Wayne State: 7
- Winning Pitcher – Brennan Cox (3-0): 2 1/3 IP, H, 0 BB, 2 K
- Losing Pitcher – Dakota Roberts (3-1): 1 1/3 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 4 BB, K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Palmer: 2-4, GS, 5 RBI, R
- Brooks: 3-5, HR, R, RBI
- McClelland: 2-2, 2 2B, 2 R
- Northwood will travel to Parkside for a four-game conference series, starting Friday (April 5) at 2 p.m.