OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 14, Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 13
RECORDS: Northwood 24-12/Saginaw Valley 13-19-1
LOCATION: Dow Diamond – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Baseball wins back-and-forth affair with Saginaw Valley, with Northwood winning 14-13 in a non-conference game Tuesday night (April 16) at Dow Diamond.
- Saginaw Valley got on the board with an unearned run in the bottom of the first inning.
- The score remained 1-0 until the fourth when Northwood tied the game at 1-1 on an RBI single by Kyle Ziegler.
- The Timberwolves extended their lead in the fifth, starting with an three-run homer by Cole Brooks.
- Khale Showers made it a 6-1 lead for Northwood on a two-run single.
- SVSU's offense exploded in the middle innings, scoring three in the fifth and seventh in the sixth to open up an 11-6 lead.
- Northwood responded with a big inning of their own in the seventh, starting with a Showers two-run single. An SVSU throwing error allowed a third run to come home on the play.
- David Vinsky drove home another run on a fielder's choice to cut the lead to one at 11-10.
- Colin McClelland leveled the game with an RBI single to center field, sending the game to the bottom of the inning with the score tied 11-11.
- Northwood took the lead in the top of the eighth thanks to Showers once again. His RBI single plated Nick Palmer and put the Timberwolves on top 12-11.
- The Timberwolves added insurance runs in the top of the ninth, thanks to a two-run double by Trevor Polewka to make the score 14-11.
- SVSU plated a pair in the ninth before Lennon Gwizdala closed out the win.
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 14/14/4, Saginaw Valley: 11/10/3
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 11, Saginaw Valley: 6
- Winning Pitcher – Hunter McShane (1-0) 1 2/3 IP, H
- Losing Pitcher – John Fantauzzo (L, 2-2) 1 2/3 IP, 3 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 2 K
- Save – Lennon Gwizdala (5): 2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 4 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Showers: 4-5, 2B, R, 5 RBIs
- Palmer: 3-4, 3 R
- Polewka: 2-5, 2B, 2 R, 2 RBIs
- Brooks: HR, 3 RBIs
- Northwood has now swept Saginaw Valley in each of the last two seasons. NU has gone 12-1 against the Cardinals over the last three years.
- Northwood will travel to Davenport for a weekend series, starting Thursday (April 18). First pitch is set for 4 p.m.