OVERVIEW – GRAND VALLEY STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 7, Grand Valley State Lakers 2
RECORDS: Northwood 30-16, 15-10 GLIAC/Grand Valley State 14-25-1, 7-15-1 GLIAC
LOCATION: GVSU Baseball Field – Allendale, Mich.
RECAP: Baseball picks up its 30th win of the season to start the final series of the regular season, defeating Grand Valley State 7-2 Friday (May 3).
- Northwood got on the board in the first inning on an Nick Palmer RBI single to put the Timberwolves up 1-0.
- GVSU responded with a pair of runs in the bottom of the first to take the lead.
- The score remained 2-1 until the fourth when Northwood went back on top. Michael Karam leveled the score with a double.
- David Vinsky made it 3-2 with an RBI single to score Karam.
- The pitchers took control at that point, as the score remained 3-0 until the top of the ninth when the Timberwolves put the game away. Vinsky got the Timberwolves going with a solo home run that made the score 4-2.
- Later in the ninth, Palmer added a two-run shot of his own to push the lead to 6-2.
- Trevor Polewka capped the scoring with an RBI single.
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 7/13/0, Grand Valley State: 2/6/0
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 9, Grand Valley State: 5
- Winning Pitcher – Peter Joseph (2-2): 2 1/3 IP, 0 H, BB, 3 K
- Losing Pitcher – Nick Shaw (2-4): 4 2/3 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 4 BB, 4 K
- Save – Lennon Gwizdala (9): 2 IP, 0 H, BB, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Palmer: 4-5, HR, 3 RBIs
- Vinsky: 3-5, HR, 2 R, 2 RBIs
- Polewka: 2-5, 2B, R, RBI
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Northwood now has won 30 games for the third straight season. The Timberwolves had won 30 games only once in 50 season (30 – 1990) prior to the last three years.
- Northwood and Grand Valley State will play a doubleheader Saturday (May 4). First pitch is set for 1 p.m.