OVERVIEW – #11 ASHLAND (GLIAC TOURNAMENT)
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 4, No. 11 Ashland Eagles 3
RECORDS: Northwood 33-18/Ashland 38-11
LOCATION: Pit Spitter Stadium – Traverse City, Michigan
RECAP: Third-seeded Northwood bounces back from an opening round loss to defeat top-seeded Ashland 4-3 at the GLIAC Tournament Friday afternoon (May 10).
- Despite it being a low scoring game, both teams scored the majority of the runs on mistakes by their opponent. Ashland got on the board in the bottom of the first on an unearned run.
- The score remained 1-0 until the fourth inning when NU tied the score on a Kyle Ziegler RBI single.
- AU bounced right back in the bottom of the inning, plating a run on a balk to go back on top 2-1.
- Northwood came back in the sixth, scoring an unearned run on a sacrifice fly by Colin McClelland.
- Ashland took the lead in the bottom of the sixth on a run scored on a wild pitch to make the score 3-2.
- Northwood leveled the score in the eighth on a wild pitch that scored Khale Showers.
- In the ninth, the Timberwolves took their first lead on a Showers RBI single that scored Trevor Polewka.
- Lennon Gwizdala then finished out the win after four outstanding innings of work. He did not allow a base runner and struck out three.
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 4/7/2, Ashland: 3/3/2
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 7, Ashland: 7
- Winning Pitcher – Lennon Gwizdala (3-2): 4 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
- Losing Pitcher – Chance Hitchcock (7-2): 8 1/3 IP, 7 H, 4 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 10 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Cole Brooks: 2-4, 2B
- McClelland/Showers/Ziegler: RBI each
- Jake Gross: 5 IP, 3 H, 3 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 4 K
- Northwood will now face sixth-seeded Saginaw Valley in an elimination game Saturday afternoon (May 11). First pitch is set for 2:30 p.m.