OVERVIEW – INDIANAPOLIS
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 8, Indianapolis Greyhounds 2/Northwood 5 - Indianapolis 2
RECORDS: Northwood 1-0, Indianapolis 1-3
LOCATION: Bishop Chatard High School – Indianapolis, Ind.
RECAP: Northwood opens 2021 season with a doubleheader sweep at Indianapolis Saturday afternoon (February 27), taking game one 8-2 and game two 5-2.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood wasted little time getting on the board in the first inning, as No. 2 hitter Rhett Evans hit a solo homer to left to give NU a 1-0 lead.
- The Timberwolves extended their lead in the second thanks to a two-run homer by Jacob Rybicki that plated Matt Magno and made the score 3-0.
- NU's offense kept rolling in the third inning, pushing the advantage to 4-0 on a Matt Magno sacrifice fly.
- Rybicki then drove in his third run of the day on an RBI single, which was followed by a two-run single by David Jeffers that made the score 7-0 in the third.
- The Greyhounds pushed across a pair of runs in the fifth to cut into the NU lead.
- The score remained 8-2 until the ninth inning when Northwood added an insurance run thanks to a Carson Longstreth RBI double.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 8/10/0, Indianapolis: 2/4/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 4, Indianapolis: 7
- Winning Pitcher: Drew Schultz (1-0): 7 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 5 K
- Losing Pitcher: Corey Bates (0-2): 5 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 3 BB, 4 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Rybicki: 3-4, HR, 2 R, 3 RBIs
- Longstreth: 2-5, R, RBI
- Evans: HR
- Jeffers: 1-3, R, 2 RBIs
- Hunter McShane: 2 IP, BB
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood got on the board first once again right away thanks to a Cole Brooks RBI single to put NU up 1-0.
- The Timberwolves extended their lead in the third, starting with Rhett Evans' second home run of the day.
- Khale Showers added a two-run homer of his own in the third to make the score 4-0
- UINDY scored one in the bottom of the third and one in the fourth to cut the lead to 4-2.
- NU scored an insurance run on a wild pitch in the eighth to get the advantage back to three at 5-2.
- That proved to be the final run of the day, giving Northwood the sweep.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 5/12/1, Indianapolis: 2/5/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 10, Indianapolis: 8
- Winning Pitcher: Logan Lee (1-0): 7 2/3 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 4 BB, 5 K
- Losing Pitcher: Reid Werner (1-1): 6 1/3 IP, 9 H, 4 R, BB, 5 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Brooks: 3-4, R, RBI
- Evans: 2-4, HR, RBI, 2 R
- Showers: 2-5, HR, 2 RBIs
- Jake Carroll: 1 1/3 IP, 2 BB, 2 K
- Northwood and Indianapolis will finish their weekend series with a single game Sunday (February 28). Game time is set for Noon.