OVERVIEW – CEDARVILLE (TWO SEVEN-INNING GAMES)
SCORES: Northwood Timberwolves 1, Cedarville Yellow Jackets 0 (Eight Innings)/Northwood 11, Cedarville 4
RECORDS: Northwood 5-1, Cedarville 2-3
LOCATION: Wilson, N.C. – Fleming Field
RECAP: Northwood baseball improves to 5-1 on the season with a pair of regional wins over Cedarville Friday (March 5), earning a 1-0 win in eight innings in game one and an 11-4 victory in game two.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The two starting pitchers were the stars of game one, as Northwood's Drew Schultz and Cedarville's Noah Schleinitz.
- Despite Northwood having a chance to win it in the seventh after loading the bases, the Timberwolves were held hitless through seven.
- NU broke up the no-hitter in the bottom of the seventh on a David Jeffers single.
- Later in the inning, Rhett Evans gave the Timberwolves a walk-off win with an RBI single.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 1/2/4, Cedarville: 0/4/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 4, Cedarville: 8
- Winning Pitcher: Jake Carroll (1-0): IP, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Schleinitz (1-1): 7 IP, H, R, 3 BB, 6 Ks
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Schultz: 7 IP, 4 H, BB, 11 Ks
- Jeffers: H, R
- Evans: H, RBI
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- After scoring 26 runs in their first three games of the season, the Timberwolves had put up just two in their last two games. That changed early in the second game of the doubleheader, as Northwood plated seven in the top of the second. NU got going with an RBI single from Conner Kin to go up 1-0.
- Logan Briggs made it 3-0 on a two-run single, which was followed by a throwing error from the Yellow Jackets 4-0.
- After a Carson Longstreth sac fly, Northwood added runs on a wild pitch and an error to make the score 7-0
- Cedarville got on the board for the first time on the day in the bottom of the second on a solo home run.
- Northwood came right back in the top of the third with three more runs, starting with a Rhett Evans RBI fielder's choice that made the score 8-1.
- Cole Brooks got the Timberwolves to double figures with a two-run double, making the score 10-1 after three innings.
- NU pushed across another run on a wild pitch in the fifth.
- Cedarville plated three runs in the bottom of the seventh to make the final 11-4.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 11/9/3, Cedarville: 4/7/3
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 8, Cedarville: 10
- Winning Pitcher: Logan Lee (2-0): 5 IP, 4 H, R, 3 BB, 6 Ks
- Losing Pitcher: Noah Cline (1-1): 1 IP, 3 H, 5 R (3 ER), 3 BB, K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Brooks: 2-3, 2B, R, 2 RBIs
- Jeffers: 2-2, 2 R
- Briggs: 2 H, 2 RBIs
- Northwood will finish their trip to North Carolina with a single game against Tiffin Saturday (March 6). Game time is set for 1:30 p.m.