SCORE: No. 6 Ferris State 27, Northwood 26
RECORDS: Northwood (0-3, 0-3 GLIAC), Ferris State (3-0, 3-0 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Hantz Stadium - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood drops tough one to No. 6 Ferris State, as the Bulldogs score as time expires to earn 27-26 win over the Timberwolves.
INSIDE THE GAME
- Northwood got on the board first in the contest, as Theron Wilson caught a 23-yard touchdown pass from Joe Garbarino to put NU up 7-0.
- FSU then fumbled on the first play of the following possession, which led to a 44-yard field goal by Keegan Haggarty which gave Northwood a 10-0 lead.
- After Ferris State cut the lead down to 10-7 with a TD early in the second quarter, Northwood got a big play from their defense to set up another score. Ayrn Curtis intercepted a pass and gave Northwood the ball at the FS 29 yard line. Seven plays later, Haggarty connected from 32 yards to make the score 13-7.
- The Bulldogs found the end zone later to send the game to halftime with FSU leading 14-13
- Northwood got off to a strong start in the third quarter, putting together two long touchdown drives. NU went 79 yards in nine plays, capping the drive with a Garbarino one-yard run to put Northwood back on top 20-14.
- After getting a stop on defense, the Timberwolves went 80 yards in 10 plays. Vashon Nutt found the end zone from 29-yards out on third and five to extend the Timberwolves lead to 26-14.
- FSU got an interception of their own late in the third and turned it into a touchdown, sending the game to the fourth with Northwood leading 26-21.
- The Bulldogs were driving early in the fourth quarter, but Curtis picked off his second pass of the game in the end zone to cut short that drive.
- The score remained that way until the final drive of the contest. It appeared Northwood was going to earn the win, stopping Ferris State on 4th and 9. But the Timberwolves were assessed a roughing-the-passer penalty, keeping the drive alive.
- As time expired, FSU scored on a five-yard touchdown pass to earn the win.
- FIRST DOWNS: Ferris State 19, Northwood 16
- RUSHES-YARDS: Ferris State 37-196, Northwood 48-123
- PASSING YARDS: Ferris State 307, Northwood 159
- TOTAL OFFENSE, PLAYS-YARDS: Ferris State 76-403, Northwood 70-282
- TIME OF POSSESSION: Northwood 31:16, Ferris State 28:44
- TURNOVERS: Ferris State 3, Northwood 2
- Northwood has lost two games in a row on the final play of the contest.
- The roughing-the-passer penalty on the final drive against Northwood that kept Ferris State alive was NU's only penalty in the game.
- Curtis registered his third career two-interception game – he had two of them during the 2014 season (vs. Michigan Tech, vs. Findlay).
- Garbarino: 10-22, 159 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs
- Wilson: 4 receptions, 68 yards, 1 TD
- Michael Fisher (Rochester, Mich./Adams): 14 tackles, one TFL, one pass breakup
- Ayrn Curtis: Four tackles, two interceptions
- The Timberwolves will travel to Northern Michigan Saturday (September 24). Game time is set for 4 p.m.