SCORE: Northern Michigan 29, Northwood 24
RECORDS: Northwood (0-4, 0-4 GLIAC), Northern Michigan (2-2, 1-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Superior Dome - Marquette, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood loses another tight one at the end, as the Timberwolves fall at Northern Michigan 29-24.
INSIDE THE GAME
- Northern Michigan was the better early on, scoring a pair of touchdowns to go up 13-0 early in the second quarter.
- Northwood got on the board, as Theron Wilson capped a 52-yard drive with a 14-yard touchdown reception from Joe Garbarino to cut the advantage down to 13-7.
- NMU got another TD in the closing moments of the first half, sending the game to the break with the Wildcats leading 20-7. The Timberwolves trailed despite out-gaining NMU 206-188 in the half.
- The two teams exchanged field goals in the third quarter – NU's came on a Keegan Haggarty 35-yard attempt – to send the game to the fourth quarter with the score 23-10.
- Northwood put together two long drives in the fourth quarter to come back and take the lead. The first of which was a 10-play, 65-yard drive that was capped by an Andre Carter 11-yard touchdown run to make the score 23-17.
- The Timberwolves then went on top on a Garbarino 10-yard touchdown run, which finished off a 93-yard, 13 play drive to put NU on top 24-23.
- Northern Michigan responded on the following drive, scoring a TD with 25 seconds remaining to regain the lead 29-24.
- Northwood got to the NMU 39 yard line with one second remaining. On the final play, Garbarino hit Wilson near the goal line. But Wilson was ruled down at the one yard line, giving Northern Michigan the victory.
- FIRST DOWNS: Northern Michigan 18, Northwood 32
- RUSHES-YARDS: Northern Michigan 33-149, Northwood 63-416
- PASSING YARDS: Northern Michigan 163, Northwood 113
- TOTAL OFFENSE, PLAYS-YARDS: Northern Michigan 55-31, Northwood 83-529
- TIME OF POSSESSION: Northern Michigan 27:30, Northwood 32:30
- TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 0, Northwood 2
- Garbarino: 19 carries, 110 yards, 1 TD, 113 yards passing, 1 TD, 1 INT
- Wilson: 4 receptions, 85 yards, 1 TD
- Damian Nicholson: 11 carries, 86 yards
- Abdul Levy: 14 carries, 78 yards
- Vashon Nutt: 9 carries, 69 yards
- Carter: 8 carries, 64 yards, 1 TD
- Nick Tripp: 10 tackles
- Northwood has lost three games in a row on the final play of the contest.
- Garbarino is the first NU quarterback to rush for 100 yards in a game since September 15, 2012 (Aaron Shavers)
- Northwood's 416 yards rushing are the most in a game for NU since October 17, 2009 (Tiffin – 452)
- The Timberwolves will host Lake Erie in the annual homecoming game Saturday (October 1). Kick off is set for 1 p.m.