SCORE: Northwood 41, Walsh 13
RECORDS: Northwood (3-8, 3-8 GLIAC), Walsh (1-10, 0-10 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Memorial Stadium – North Canton, Ohio
RECAP: Northwood scores touchdowns on offense, defense and special teams in a 41-13 road win over Walsh to wrap up the 2016 season Saturday afternoon (November 12).
INSIDE THE GAME
- Walsh started the game strong, putting together a 14-play drive that took up 7:27 to go up 3-0.
- While the Cavaliers controlled the ball to start the game, Northwood wasted little time in taking the lead. NU went 50 yards in two plays, capped by a Joe Garbarino 15-yard touchdown run to give the Timberwolves the lead 03
- After the fast offensive start, both teams defenses performed better the rest of the opening half. Each team got one field goal the rest of half – Northwood's on a 32-yard kick by Keegan Haggarty) – to send the game to the locker room with NU on top 10-6.
- Northwood used another big lay on the opening drive of the second half to expand their lead. Garbarino found Theron Wilson for a 59-yard touchdown that put the Timberwolves up 17-6 early in the third.
- Walsh put together a touchdown drive to get within four points at 17-13, but that is when the NU special teams and defense took over. On the following kickoff, Vashon Nutt took it 98-yards for a touchdown, making the score 24-13.
- Early in the fourth quarter, it was the defense who put points on the board for the Timberwolves. Senior linebacker Michael Fisher picked off a Walsh pass and took it back 26-yards for a touchdown, making the score 31-13 with 10:12 to go.
- On the following possession, NU's Jerry Taylor got another interception for the Northwood defense, which led to another Haggarty field goal (22 yards). That made the score 34-13 with 6:23 remaining.
- NU's defense made one final big play to close out the win. Dimitri Abro forced and recovered a fumble, which he returned 66 yards for a touchdown to close out the scoring at 41-13
- FIRST DOWNS: Walsh 24, Northwood 14
- RUSHES-YARDS: Walsh 39-110, Northwood 27-115
- PASSING YDS: Walsh 263, Northwood 126
- TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YDS: Walsh 85-373, Northwood 38-241
- POSSESSION TIME: Walsh 42:15, Northwood 17:45
- THIRD DOWN CONVERSIONS: Walsh 8-18, Northwood 1-7
- TURNOVERS: Walsh 4, Northwood 1
- Abdul Levy: 8 carries, 43 yards
- Theron Wilson: 65 yards receiving, one TD
- Michael Fisher: 11 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, one INT, one TD
- Ray Shepler: 12 tackles
- Dimitri Abro: 10 tackles, one forced fumble, two pass-breakups
- Wilson entered the game leading Division II in yards per reception and increased his average today. He finished the year averaging 26.2 yards per reception (24 catches for 629).
- Fisher finishes his career with 430 tackles, 58 more than any player in school history (Charleston Hughes – 372).