SCORE: Ashland Eagles 42, Northwood Timberwolves 14
RECORDS: Northwood (2-1, 0-1 GLIAC), Ashland (2-1, 1-0 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Hantz Stadium - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Ashland rides second quarter barrage to 42-14 win over Northwood Saturday (September 16) in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) opener.
INSIDE THE GAME
- Northwood's first drive looked promising enough, as they made three first downs in a 13-play series. The biggest offensive play came with Grant Dunatchik hitting Travis Vuich on a 23-yard pass to get Northwood in Ashland territory at the 38-yard line. However, David Riser missed a 44-yard field goal. It would be the only scoring chance for the Timberwolves in the first half.
- The Eagles were able to strike on Northwood's missed opportunity, scoring their first touchdown with 7:40 left in the quarter on a three-play, 73-yard drive. 66 of those yards came on one pass.
- Ashland completely dominated the second quarter, scoring 35 points on 228 yards of total offense. Before the half was out, the Eagles had a touchdown on all six of their drives, converting two plays on fourth down in the process.
- Northwood's Keyon Whitfield was able to force a fumble to break Ashland's touchdown streak early in the third quarter, but the Timberwolves went three-and-out on the ensuing drive.
- The third period also saw Northwood put together their most productive drive since their first of the contest. Taking 6:15 off the clock, Andre Carter capped the 12-play, 80-yard drive with a 10-yard TD run.
- The Timberwolves were able to net another six points late in the game, one that included their biggest offensive play of the day. Dunatchik was able to range to his left and fire a 44-yard pass inside the five-yard line to receiver John Hall, who was stopped just short of the goal line. Dunatchik capped the eight-play, 64-yard drive with a one-yard rushing touchdown moments later to make it a 28-point spread with 3:45 remaining. That proved to be the final points of the day.
- FIRST DOWNS: Ashland 18, Northwood 13
- RUSHES-YARDS: Northwood 48-184, Ashland 34-79
- PASSING YARDS: Ashland 395, Northwood 113
- TOTAL OFFENSE, PLAYS-YARDS: Ashland 58-474, Northwood 63-297
- TIME OF POSSESSION: Northwood 30:11, Ashland 29:49
- Ashland has won eight of the past nine meetings dating back to 2003. The Eagles have been victorious by more than 20 four times.
- Northwood was out-gained 391-99 overall in the first half, including 339-53 through the air.
- Senior Andre Carter rushed for his fourth career touchdown.
- Redshirt freshman Grant Dunatchik scored his first collegiate touchdown on his fourth quarter rushing touchdown.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Grand Valley State Saturday (September 23rd) for a GLIAC matchup against the Lakers. Game time is set for 7 p.m.