SCORE: #6 Ferris State Bulldogs 53, Northwood Timberwolves 10
RECORDS: Northwood (0-3, 0-1 GLIAC), Ferris State (3-0, 1-0 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Hantz Stadium – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: No. 6 Ferris State has a big day on offense in a 53-10 win over Northwood Saturday (September 15)
INSIDE THE GAME
- Ferris State got things going on their opening possession. The Bulldogs made two third down conversions on a nine-play, 89-yard drive, including a 69-yard passing play that brought the Bulldogs to the Northwood one-yard line. A quarterback sneak capped the drive and gave Ferris a 6-0 lead with 10:34 left in the first.
- After the Timberwolves missed a field goal to start the second stanza, FS capitalized with a score of their own. Starting at their own 26-yard-line, a 54-yard completion brought the Bulldogs down to the NU 16-yard-line. Three plays later, another quarterback run gave Ferris State a 13-0 lead with 2:22 into the period.
- Northwood was able to counter with some points on their ensuing drive. A six-play, 58-yard drive was highlighted by a 41-yard run by Brock Franklin to the FS 16. The Timberwolves soon settled for three on a David Riser 27-yard field goal, cutting the lead to 13-3 with 10:07 left in the half.
- The Bulldogs made Northwood pay and answered with six more on their next drive. Facing a third-and-18 on their own 17-yard-line, a 45-yard rush gave the team new life on their drive and brought Ferris into NU territory. They would eventually score on a 22-yard rush to extend their lead to 19-3 with 6:03 remaining in the half.
- FS took over the game with another touchdown on their next possession. Taking 2:54 off the clock in 12 plays, the Bulldogs marched 77 yards down the field and capped the drive on a third quarterback run to make it a three-score game at 25-3 before halftime. The Bulldogs would score on consecutive possessions in the third stanza to make it a 39-3 game and they never looked back.
- Northwood scored their only touchdown at the end of the third. Abdul Levy highlighted the seven-play, 58-yard drive with a 33-yard rush, and Joey Clifford capped the journey with a seven-yard touchdown rush to make it a 39-10 game with 1:35 left in the third.
- FIRST DOWNS: Ferris State 26, Northwood 14
- RUSHES-YARDS: Ferris State 53-349, Northwood 45-192
- PASSING YARDS: Ferris State 257, Northwood 76
- TOTAL OFFENSE, PLAYS-YARDS: Ferris State 76-606, Northwood 59-268
- TIME OF POSSESSION: Ferris State 29:05, Northwood 30:55
- Brock Franklin: 65 yards rushing, 9.3 AVG. YD.
- Abdul Levy: 50 yards rushing, 7.0 AVG. YD.
- Joey Clifford: 1 Rushing TD
- Dimitri Abro: 10 tackles
- The Timberwolves will travel to Ashland on Saturday (September 22) for a GLIAC matchup against the Eagles. Game time is set for 1 p.m.