SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 26, Michigan Tech Huskies 23
RECORDS: Northwood (3-7, 3-5 GLIAC), Michigan Tech (4-6, 2-6 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Sherman Field - Houghton, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood finished the 2018 season with a dramatic 26-23 win at Michigan Tech Saturday afternoon (November 10).
INSIDE THE GAME
- Michigan Tech got on the board first on their opening drive. After the Timberwolves started the game with a three and out, MTU went 55 yards in three plays, capped by a 42-yard touchdown run to go up 7-0.
- From that point on in the opening half, the Timberwolves controlled the play but missed opportunities proved costly. On following drive, Northwood held the ball for over 11 minutes and went 88 yards in 22 plays. NU had the ball on the MTU one with second and goal, but the Timberwolves were unable to punch it in, keeping the score at 7-0.
- The score remained 7-0 until the midway point of the second. After getting a fourth down stop on defense, the Timberwolves put together a 73-yard drive over the span of four plays. After gains of 13, 16 and 28 to start the possession, Corey Burdgick found the end zone on a 16 yard run to tie the score 7-7.
- NU got another stop on defense before putting together another long drive that did not produce points. Northwood went 76 yards in 12 plays and got to the Huskies six-yard line. NU's 23-yard field goal was blocked, keeping the score tied at 7-7.
- The game remained 7-7 at halftime. The stats at the break were in favor of the Timberwolves – NU held big advantages in total yards (219-126), passing yards (89-50), rushing yards (130-76) and first downs (14-4). After the opening possessions for both teams, Northwood held a 221-71 edge in yardage.
- Northwood took their first lead of the day early in the third quarter. The Timberwolves got a stop on defense and took over at the NU 25. Northwood put together a six-play, 75-yard drive that was finished off by a Joe Garbarino 46-yard touchdown run to make the score 14-7.
- Michigan Tech put points on the board following the Northwood touchdown, connecting on a 29-yard field goal to finish off a 12-play drive to make the score 14-10.
- The Timberwolves came right back with another touchdown drive capped by a big play. Starting with a 46-yard kick return by Alex Spicuzzi, Northwood went 45 yards in three plays. Garbarino once again scored on a long rushing touchdown, this time from 34 yards. After a missed PAT, Northwood's lead stood at 20-10 with 3:28 left in the third quarter.
- On the first play of the fourth quarter, Michigan Tech made it four straight scoring possessions for the two teams. The Huskies went 80 yards in seven plays and scored on a 24-yard TD pass to make the score 20-17.
- The Michigan Tech defense came up with a big play on the next possession. On third and one inside MTU territory, the Timberwolves fumbled which was recovered and returned for a touchdown by the Huskies. A missed extra point made the score 23-20 early in the fourth quarter.
- Northwood put together the game-winning drive late in the fourth. The Timberwolves went 85 yards in 12 plays over a span of 5:20. Garbarino gave NU back the lead on a 15-yard touchdown pass to Gary Landless to make the score 26-23 with 2:19 remaining.
- Michigan Tech had one more chance and put together a drive into Northwood territory. The Huskies got to the NU 24 and had a 41-yard field goal attempt to tie the game with 17 seconds remaining. The attempt sailed wide right, giving Northwood the win.
- FIRST DOWNS: Michigan Tech 17, Northwood 24
- RUSHES-YARDS: Michigan Tech 36-214, Northwood 52-247
- PASSING ATTEMPTS/COMPLETIONS/YARDS: Michigan Tech 13-24-133, Northwood 12-20-177
- TOTAL OFFENSE, PLAYS-YARDS: Michigan Tech 60-347, Northwood 72-424
- TIME OF POSSESSION: Michigan Tech 29:13, Northwood 30:47
- Garbarino: 12-20 passing 177 yards, TD, 23 carries, 121 yards, 2 TDs
- Burdgick: 11 carries, 73 yards, TD
- Landless: 6 catches, 91 yards, TD
- Gary Landless: 80 yards receiving
- Dimitri Abro: 10 tackles, two sacks
- C.J. Williams: 11 tackles
- Northwood has now won three straight against Michigan Tech after MTU had won the previous six matchups.
- This marks the first time NU has won three straight against the Huskies since Northwood won nine straight against MTU from 1977-1985.
- The game was delayed by 30 minutes to clear the field after a snowstorm in Houghton the night before.
- Garbarino eclipsed the 100-yard mark in both passing and rushing for the third time in his career – the last time he did that was the season-opener this year at Tiffin. It was the fifth time in his career he rushed for more than 100 yards.
- The Timberwolves have now completed their season.