SCORE: #10 Grand Valley State Lakers 27, Northwood Timberwolves 3
RECORDS: Grand Valley St. (3-0, 1-0 GLIAC), Northwood (0-3, 0-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Hantz Stadium – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood falls 27-3 to No. 10 Grand Valley State Saturday afternoon (September 21).
INSIDE THE GAME
- Grand Valley St. won the toss and deferred to Northwood. After holding the Timberwolves to a 3-0, the Lakers wasted no time getting on the board on their first drive. A 29-yard field goal capped the Lakers' nine-play drive and gave them an early 3-0 lead with 9:52 remaining in the first quarter.
- The Timberwolves responded on the following drive that covered 43 yards and featured three Northwood first downs. A career-long 47-yard field goal for Parker Blust evened the score at 3-3 with nearly five minutes left in the quarter.
- With 1:11 remaining in the first quarter, the Lakers covered 84 yards on three plays to find the endzone. A one-yard rush and a successful kick attempt extended the Lakers' lead to 10-3.
- GVSU further extended their lead with almost six minutes remaining in the first half off of a successful field goal from 20-yards out to put the Lakers up 13-3.
- A four-yard touchdown pass from Peterson to Anderson capped a 15-yard Laker drive to make the score 20-3 with 8:24 remaining in the third quarter.
- Grand Valley State extended the lead to 27-2 on a 52-yard touchdown pass.
- Northwood began the fourth quarter with some momentum. Keenan Williamson stopped the Grand Valley St. drive, intercepting a pass on Northwood's own 3-yard line and returning it 19 yards.
- Despite several promising drives from the Timberwolves throughout the second half, they were unable to find the endzone and fell to the Lakers 27-3.
- FIRST DOWNS: Grand Valley St. 23, Northwood 10
- RUSHES-YARDS: Grand Valley St. 70-477, Northwood 35-43
- PASSING YARDS: Grand Valley St. 236 (11-22-1, 2 TD, 1 INT), Northwood 125 (10-18-0 0 TD, 0 INT)
- TOTAL OFFENSE, PLAYS-YARDS: Grand Valley St. 70-477, Northwood 53-168
- TIME OF POSSESSION: Grand Valley St. 33:55, Northwood 26:05
- Bryant Kieft: 61 receiving yards
- Dimitri Abro: 11 tackles
- Williamson: Five tackles, interception
- Blust: 47-yard field goal, 44.3 punting average
- The Timberwolves will host Ashland for homecoming Saturday (September 28). Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.