OVERVIEW – MICHIGAN TECH
SCORE: Michigan Tech 83, Northwood Timberwolves 72
RECORDS: Northwood (4-15, 2-8 GLIAC), Michigan Tech (9-8, 7-3 GLIAC)
LOCATION: SDC Gymnasium – Houghton, Mich.
RECAP: Michigan Tech uses the foul line to down Northwood 83-72 Thursday night (January 19).
- Both offenses played at a high level in the opening half – NU and MTU were above 60 percent shooting from the floor for the majority of the opening 20 minutes.
- The score was tight throughout the half – the neither team led by more than five points until the final minute.
- Michigan Tech got up by seven, but a three-point play by Northwood freshman David Jelinek cut the Huskies lead down to 44-40 at the break.
- Northwood ended the half shooting 60.7 percent (17-28) overall and 44.4 percent from the foul line (4-9).
- The Timberwolves came out strong in the second half, eventually leading 63-58 with under eight minutes remaining.
- Michigan Tech responded down the stretch, especially at the foul line. MTU out-scored Northwood 25-9 the rest of the way to round out the win.
- The score remained tight throughout – the Huskies took the first double-digit lead of the game in the final seconds of the contest.
- Northwood finished with a much higher field goal percentage than the Huskies in the second half (48.0-33.3), but MTU dominated at the foul line. Michigan Tech went 22-22 from the foul line in the final 20 minutes, compared to Northwood at 6-8.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .462 (24-52), Northwood .547 (29-53)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .333 (6-18), Northwood .353 (6-17)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Michigan Tech .935 (29-31), Northwood .727 (8-11)
- REBOUNDS: Michigan Tech 27 (seven offensive), Northwood 28 (six offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Michigan Tech 11/6, Northwood 12/14
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- David Jelinek: Career-high 13 points
- Zach Allread: 13 points
- Nick Spitzley: 11 points
- Kyle Lamotte: 10 points
- The Timberwolves will travel to Northern Michigan Saturday (January 21). Game time is set for 1 p.m.