OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY
SCORE: Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 74, Northwood Timberwolves 64
RECORDS: Saginaw Valley (17-10, 10-10 GLIAC), Northwood (5-24, 3-17 GLIAC)
LOCATION: O'Neill Arena – University Center, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood leads the majority of the game but a big second-half push by Saginaw Valley gives the Cardinals a 74-64 win Saturday night (February 18).
- SVSU led by five points early, but Northwood was the better team the rest of the way.
- Northwood led for 13:35 of the opening half and led by as many as nine (20-11) before settling for a 36-28 edge at the break.
- The Timberwolves had a strong half on the offensive end, making 15-28 overall (53.6 percent) and 50.0 percent from 3-point range (4-8).
- SVSU finished the opening 20 minutes shooting 44.0 percent (11-25) overall and 30.0 percent from 3-point range 3-10).
- The Timberwolves used seven offensive rebounds to earn a 10-5 edge in second chance points in the half.
- Northwood maintained their lead throughout the opening 10 minutes of the second half, earning their biggest lead of the night at 51-40 seven minutes in.
- That is when SVSU got on a roll, going on a 22-4 run to open up a 62-55 lead with under four minutes to go.
- Northwood stayed close down the stretch until the final two minutes. NU trailed by three (64-61) when the Cardinals scored eight straight points to get the lead back up to 11 and put the game away.
- The Timberwolves shot 40.7 percent in the second half (11-27) while going 3-11 from 3-point range.
- Saginaw Valley elevated their offense in the second half, connecting on 63.0 percent of their shots from the field (17-27) while scoring 46 points after the break.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .538 (28-52), Northwood .473 (26-55)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .333 (6-18), Northwood .368 (7-19)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Saginaw Valley .545 (12-22), Northwood .500 (5-10)
- REBOUNDS: Saginaw Valley 31 (10 offensive), Northwood 34 (12 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Saginaw Valley 10/9, Northwood 8/16
- Northwood led for over 26 of the 40 minutes of the game.
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Nick Spitzley: 26 points (career-high), 11-19 from the floor, 3-8 from 3-point range
- Brad Schaub: 14 points, five rebounds
- PJ Weaver: 13 points, six rebounds
- The Timberwolves will finish their season at home against Lake Superior State Thursday night (February 23). Game time is set for 8 p.m.