OVERVIEW – LAKE SUPERIOR STATE
SCORE: Lake Superior State Lakers 83, Northwood Timberwolves 81
RECORDS: Lake Superior State (16-9, 13-8 GLIAC), Northwood (5-25, 3-18 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Lake Superior State stuns Northwood with seven consecutive points in final 42 seconds to win 83-81 Thursday night (February 23).
- The Lakers came out firing, scoring 18 of the first 23 points going up by 13 seven minutes in.
- A coinciding 11-3 run by the Timberwolves cut the lead down to five at the halfway point at 21-16.
- The next seven minutes, Northwood went on a 12-7 run to tie the game with three minutes left at 28. The Timberwolves took their first lead at 33-30 with 2:18 left, but eventually trailed LSSU 37-36 at the break.
- The Lakers shot 48.4 percent from the field (15-31), knocking down 58.3 percent of their three-point attempts (7-12).
- The Timberwolves made 40 percent of their overall shot attempts (12-30), including 41.2 percent from three-point range (7-17).
- Northwood came out with authority and nearly copied Lake Superior State's start in the first half, starting on a 15-3 run to lead by 11.
- An 18-6 run by the Lakers gave them a 58-57 lead with ten minutes to go.
- The lead for the Lakers extended to six with another 9-4 run with 7:52 left. The two teams would engage in multiple lead changes, with Northwood going on a 20-9 run to lead by five with 42 seconds left.
- However, Lake Superior State scored seven consecutive points after forcing two key turnovers, stunning the Timberwolves in the final seconds.
- Northwood shot much better than the first half, sinking 54.2 percent from the floor (13-24) and knocking down 44.4 percent of their three-point attempts (4-9).
- Lake Superior State shot 46.7 percent from the floor (14-30), hitting 43.8 percent of their three-point attempts (7-16).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .475 (29-61), Northwood .463 (25-54)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .500 (14-28), Northwood .423 (11-26)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lake Superior State .733 (11-15), Northwood .800 (20-25)
- REBOUNDS: Lake Superior State 30 (six offensive), Northwood 35 (seven offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Lake Superior State 15/13, Northwood 17/17
- Lake Superior State outscored Northwood off of turnovers 15-7 and off the bench 26-13. The Timberwolves outscored the Lakers in the paint 26-22, on second chance 10-3, and off the fast break 4-2.
- The two teams split the previous five matchups dating back to 2011.
- Nick Spitzley had his second straight game of setting a career high in points, scoring 31 tonight to break his previous record of 26 that lasted all of five days.
TOP NU PERFORMERS