OVERVIEW – INDIANAPOLIS
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 73, Indianapolis 71 (GLIAC/GLVC Challenge)
RECORDS: Northwood (1-0), Indianapolis (0-1)
LOCATION: Nicoson Hall – Indianapolis, Ind.
RECAP: Northwood uses a balanced attack and a clutch late basket by David Jellinek to earn a 73-71 road win to open the 2017-18 season Friday night (November 10).
- Northwood came out fast in the opening half, opening up a 20-11 lead just over nine minutes into the contest.
- The Greyhounds bounced back, however, scoring nine straight points to level the score at 20-20.
- Indianapolis eventually took a 35-31 lead to the locker room.
- Northwood was the better team from the floor in the half, shooting 50.0 percent (12-24) compared to Indianapolis at 32.3 percent (10-31).
- UINDY earned the lead thanks to the foul line, as the Greyhounds went 12-16 from the line (75.0 percent) compared to Northwood at 3-7 (42.9 percent).
- The Greyhounds scored the first three points of the second half to go up 38-31. UINDY would lead by seven on three separate occasions in the half, but that would prove to be their biggest advantage.
- After getting close numerous times in the half, Northwood finally tied the game at 59-59 with a little over six minutes remaining.
- The game was tied 52-52 with under 12 minutes remaining
- Indianapolis went on top for good at the 11:41 mark, going up 54-52.
- Northwood opened up a 68-63 lead with under three minutes remaining, which set up a back-and-forth finish.
- The Greyhounds scored six straight points to go back on top 69-68, which was immediately followed by a David Jelinek layup to put the Timberwolves back in the lead 70-69 with 48 seconds remaining.
- After the two teams exchanged turnovers, Indianapolis made a pair of free throws with 17 seconds remaining to go up 71-70.
- It would be Jelinek who came up big once again in the final second to give the Timberwolves the win. He made a layup and was fouled with five seconds remaining. After he converted the free throw, the Timberwolves were back on top 73-71.
- UINDY got a shot off in the final moments but it was no good, giving Northwood the win.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northwood .492 (29-59), Indianapolis .362 (21-58)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE : Northwood .389 (7-18), Indianapolis .235 (4-17)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northwood .571 (8-14), Indianapolis .735 (25-34)
- REBOUNDS: Northwood 43 (11 offensive), Indianapolis 34 (10 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northwood 15/17, Indianapolis 6/8
- FAST BREAK POINTS: Northwood 16, Indianapolis 5
- BENCH POINTS: Northwood 35, Indianapolis 5
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Nick Spitzley: 13 points, 5-10 from the floor, 3-5 from 3-point range
- Bruno Solomun: 12 points, six rebounds, four blocks
- Jelinek: 11 points, four rebounds
- The Timberwolves will finish play at the GLIAC/GLVC Challenge Saturday (November 11) against No. 3 Bellarmine. Game time is set for 3 p.m.