OVERVIEW – GRAND VALLEY STATE
SCORE: Grand Valley State Lakers 88, Northwood Timberwolves 80
RECORDS: Northwood (3-10, 0-6 GLIAC), Grand Valley State (7-7, 2-4 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Grand Valley State uses a big push in the second half to defeat Northwood 88-80 Thursday night (January 4).
- The opening half proved to be close, as neither team led by more than six points. There were six ties and four lead changes in the opening 10 minutes.
- A jumper in the final seconds by Northwood's Trey McBride gave the Timberwolves a 38-36 advantage at the break.
- Both teams finished the opening half above 50.0 from the floor – GVSU finished at 16-32 (50.0) while Northwood went 15-28 (53.6).
- As has been the case throughout the season for Northwood, NU's opponent made a second-half push to take control of the game.
- The Lakers led 59-53 when GVSU got rolling. An 17-4 run in less than five minutes suddenly made the Grand Valley State advantage 76-60 with under five minutes remaining.
- Northwood got no closer than eight points the rest of the way.
- GVSU shot 57.1 percent in the second half (20-35), while Northwood shot a solid 51.6 percent (16-31).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .537 (36-67), Northwood .525 (31-59)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .33 (6-18), Northwood .353 (6-17)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley State .769 (10-13), Northwood .750 (12-16)
- REBOUNDS: Grand Valley State 30 (10 offensive), Northwood 33 (10 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Grand Valley State 14/5, Northwood 13/11
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Grand Valley State 54, Northwood 36
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Grand Valley State19, Northwood 6
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Grand Valley State 12, Northwood 11
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Demitri Martin: 19 points (career-high), 7-8 from the floor, 3-4 from 3-point range
- Nick Spitzley: 13 points, 5-7 from the floor, 3-5 from 3-point range
- Trey McBride: 12 points, four rebounds
- Kelvin Calhoun II: 10 points
- The Timberwolves will travel to Purdue Northwest Saturday (January 6). Game time is set for 4 p.m.