OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 73, Wayne State Warriors 71
RECORDS: Northwood (5-11, 2-7 GLIAC), Wayne State (8-6, 6-3 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood picks up their second straight win, defeating Wayne State 73-71 Saturday night (January 13).
- After the opening minutes of the first half were close, Northwood took the lead at 20-18. Wayne State would not lead the remainder of the half.
- The Timberwolves scored 14 of the final 20 points of the half to take a 42-34 lead at the break.
- But Northwood responded with a run of their own, scoring the next 19 points in 6:47 to go up 23-18.
- Both teams shot the ball well in the half – Northwood ended up at 54.5 percent (18-33) while Wayne State shot 53.8 percent (14-26).
- The Timberwolves earned the advantage thanks to making three more 3-pointers (5-2) and grabbing five more offensive rebounds (6-1).
- Northwood got a dunk on their second possession to go back up 10.
- The two teams exchanged mini-runs throughout the half. Northwood went up 12 (48-36) before Wayne State cut it to four at 50-46). NU then got the advantage back up to (63-50).
- Northwood was up 67-58 with less than three minutes to go in the game, but the Warriors continued to fight. Wayne State cut the advantage down to 67-63 with 56 second remaining.
- The Timberwolves got the advantage back up to 73-67 before a wild finish. WSU hit a 3-pointer with just over two second remaining. Following a timeout by NU, the Timberwolves threw a long pass into the front court which was deflected to the Warriors. WSU's Marcus Moore then flung a 3/4 court shot and drew a foul on Northwood. Trailing by three, Moore needed to make all three shots to tie the game but he missed his first two attempts to close out the victory for Northwood.
- Northwood shot 45.0 percent from the floor in the second half (9-20) but connected on 12-15 from the foul line (80.0 percent).
- Wayne State went 13-27 in the second half (48.1 percent) but just 10-16 from the foul line (62.5 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .509 (27-53), Northwood .509 (27-53)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .375 (3-8), Northwood .375 (6-16)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .700 (14-20), Northwood .813 (13-16)
- REBOUNDS: Wayne State 24 (seven offensive), Northwood 33 (11 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Wayne State 14/14, Northwood 15/19
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Wayne State 36, Northwood 34
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Wayne State 20, Northwood 14
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Wayne State 8, Northwood 111
- BENCH POINTS: Wayne State 2, Northwood 36
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Trey McBride: 18 points, 7-10 from the floor, four assists, two steals, two blocks
- Nick Spitzley: 12 points, 5-7 from the floor, 2-3 from 3-point range
- The Timberwolves will host Wayne State Saturday night (December 13). Game time is set for 6 p.m.