OVERVIEW – TIFFIN
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 92, Tiffin Dragons 81
RECORDS: Northwood (6-11, 3-7 GLIAC), Tiffin (6-11, 2-8 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Timberwolves earn third straight victory, defeating Tiffin 92-81 (January 18).
- Behind four consecutive three-pointers, Tiffin grabbed an early 14-9 lead to start the game. However, Northwood would respond with a vengeance, rattling off a 19-6 run to build an eight-point lead of their own at 28-20 with 8:33 left.
- The Timberwolves' lead would extend to 35-24 with 4:59 left as the game hit a defensive gridlock. Each team combined for just nine points for the rest of the period before halftime as Northwood took a 39-29 into the break.
- Northwood shot 47.1 percent from the floor in the first (16-34), while Tiffin finished at 42.9 percent (12-28).
- The Dragons used the 3-point line to stay close, going 5-9 from beyond the arc (55.6 percent) compared to Northwood at 6-18 (33.3 percent).
- The Dragons opened the second half with seven consecutive points to cut the lead to three 1:30 into the period. The visitors would get as close as two before the halfway point cutting the spread down to 52-50 with 11:10 left.
- A 9-2 Northwood run created some breathing room for the Timberwolves with 8:20 remaining, as they lead 61-52 heading into crunch time.
- Maintaining their edge, NU took two separate 13-point leads down the stretch before ending the game with a double-digit cushion.
- Both teams saved their best for the second half. The Timberwolves shot an impressive 55.2 percent on their attempts (16-29) from the field. The Dragons were even better, sinking 56.8 percent of their shots (21-37).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Tiffin .508 (33-65), Northwood .508 (32-63)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Tiffin .522 (12-23), Northwood .393 (11-28)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Tiffin .500 (3-6), Northwood .739 (17-23)
- REBOUNDS: Tiffin 36 (11 offensive), Northwood 32 (10 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Tiffin 13/11, Northwood 22/4
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Tiffin 38, Northwood 34
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Tiffin 3, Northwood 2
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Zach Allread: 17 points, eight rebounds
- Alec Marty: 17 points, four rebounds, five assists
- David Jelinek: 16 points, six rebounds
- Trey McBride: 14 points, five assists
- Nick Spitzley: 14 points, 4-7 from 3-point range
- The Timberwolves have won six of the last seven games against the Dragons and have posted a 9-3 record against them since they joined the GLIAC in 2008-09.
- The win was Jeff Rekeweg's 100th in his eighth year as Northwood's bench boss and 365th overall in 21 seasons.
- The Timberwolves will host Ashland Saturday (January 20) for a game against the Eagles. Game time is set for 3 p.m.